Anti Roll Bars

My current 110 has anti roll bars fitted back and front, this is my 3rd 110 and also had a few 90's but the 1st land rover Ive had with anti roll bars fitted? Why do some have them fitted and some not? Whats are there advantages/disadvantages if any?

basically the idea of an ARB is it allows you to reduce bodyroll while keeping relatively soft roadsprings for sensible suspension compliance.

110's often have them on the rear at least to help with the roll caused by it running heavily loaded, although i'm not quite sure what specifies which trucks came with them.

One main disadvantage is that it can reduce your articulation while offroading, and i think if your vechile has a lift or longer shocks you can end up getting the ARB into places it really shouldnt go

Its method of action is to transfer some of the compressive force on a given wheel to the wheel on the other side of the vehicle. Obviously with offroading this can mean it will assist you in losing traction.

My current 110 has anti roll bars fitted back and front, this is my 3rd 110 and also had a few 90's but the 1st land rover Ive had with anti roll bars fitted? Why do some have them fitted and some not? Whats are there advantages/disadvantages if any?

I think the others that have replied have covered the advantages and disadvantages pretty well.

What I have heard some people have done is make them removable (at the axle end) such that when they are not in use they are bolted up out of the way.

I certainly wouldn't like to run my 130 fully laden without at least the rear fitted but I would like the option of undoing them when it is unladen and I am likely to take it off road, so this is something I would like to try but have never got around to doing yet.

Cheers,

Colin.

I have a 110 CSW with a rear but not a front ARB and one of the links broke at the rear. It was rubbing a brake pipe, so I removed it while I got new parts. I have to say its absence doesn't seem to make a huge difference (its not very thick, the one on my Fiat Punto is thicker) but perhaps I have been a little more cautious in my driving without it. I think if you had anything stiffer than standard in the way of rear springs you'd be better off without, unless you want to drive fast on tarmac. I'd say try it without, but be prepared for a fight getting it off. The rubbers are very cheap, so if you like it but just need new rubbers I'd say go on and change them.

Nigel

it depends how loaded you drive it i suspect, an empty truck with no rear arb might seem ok, but loaded up i'd suspect that you'd find it would roll around a lot more.

What i'd suggest the OP do is remove it and drive the truck and see how it is. I've got them for my 90, as i found it rolled around a bit too much for my liking before i took it apart, although i'm interested in this removable arrangement and will need to find more about that, and cant really comment on how it drives with them fitted, as its still a pile of parts!

Thanks for the info guys. I dont drive it an awfull lot fully loaded its mainly a dog bus and its off road equally as much as its on road. I drive steady on road aswell speeding around corners and across round abouts scares me these days :lol:

i just took the anti roll bar off my 110 as the rubbers needed replacing (advisory on MOT)

i have noticed a difference driving it, the rear does roll alot more around corners, seems to make it uncomfortable,

i do keep my tools in the back so it does have some weight,

i would say it is worth doing, you may find that you have the replace the ball joint as the rubbers around that persished on mine and it filled with dust and rubbsih, i think it cost £30 for all new rubbers and the new ball joint parts,