Silicone Hoses

tuko

Custom builds always present new challenges and here's another to add to the growing list.

With the tight clearance that the motor (300tdi minus the turbo bits) has with the series bulkhead, I'm in the position that I have to re route the air induction hoses.

As you can see in the below picture, the best route that I can think of and that will still fit under the bonnet is to place the "air hose from the air filter canister to the turbo" above the intake manifold. from here this is where I need to become creative with silicone hoses as the air hose that connects at one end to the air filter housing is 3" and the opening on the intake manifold is 2" and are above/below each other. :o

I'm looking at buying a 76mm to 51mm reducer, that I would connect to a small bit of 2" alu. pipe and from there buying a 180° 51mm hose that would finally connect it all together. But looking at all the prices adding up, I'm wonder if somebody here is in the know and can fix these parts for a deal or can actually make a 180° hose that has an 3" (76mm) opening on one end and 2" (51mm) on the other.

Open to suggestions/ideas.........

Cheers,

Todd.

post-194-1241205089_thumb.jpg

I used these chaps when I did my 200tdi. cheapest I could find at the time and good quality http://www.siliconhoses.com/

no need for pics, but I think they look very nice

n605065082_4830418_6197.jpg

Thinking about your problem, if you don't have the turbo, then you probably don't need the huge bore of the airfilter tube, could you not just adapt the airfilter box connection to the smaller manifold tube size, 2inch all the way would be much easier to work with and cheaper.

would this work? http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p10736/A...oduct_info.html

pull the manifold off, send it down - I'll cut the original inlet off and weld it up, cut a hole in the top of the manifold, spin a 3" spout and weld it to the top.

easy solution?

if that works chuck a donation into Help for Heroes and call it quits :)

I used these chaps when I did my 200tdi. cheapest I could find at the time and good quality http://www.siliconhoses.com/

Thinking about your problem, if you don't have the turbo, then you probably don't need the huge bore of the airfilter tube, could you not just adapt the airfilter box connection to the smaller manifold tube size, 2inch all the way would be much easier to work with and cheaper.

I have these make hoses on my intercooler setup on the mini and I must admit the quality seems extremely good. and the price is good too.

Nicenewcar on ebay.

No really! They are excellent and have all sorts of elbows, u-bends and reducers. Did my custom 200Disco auto into 90 install entirely with their stuff and dead cheap too. :)

Oi,

The same parts and £7.70 cheaper. :o Even their shipping charges are cheaper.

Many thanks Bishbosh.

Ruuman,

I'm still waiting for an answer to the email that I sent them last week. <_<

The last link, now that was an interesting and a possible money saving idea. I know that I can buy stepped exhaust pipe inserts, just wondering if it's possible to get one that reduces rather quickly and isn't very long. :unsure:

Ruuman,

I'm still waiting for an answer to the email that I sent them last week. <_<

The last link, now that was an interesting and a possible money saving idea. I know that I can buy stepped exhaust pipe inserts, just wondering if it's possible to get one that reduces rather quickly and isn't very long. :unsure:

That looks a good setup, one exhaust reducer and one 51mm U bend silicone hose.

The fat end of the exhaust reducer would fit nicely into the rubber air trunking, leaving two parallel 52mm male ends, would join perfectly by getting a long 52mm 180* hose and cutting one end down to suit.

Tuko - for best airflow I think Jez's kind offer is your best option. What a nice chap.

Way too kind! Here I thought that he had enough to do with his vehicles, then he offers what little extra time he has for me and my vehicular problems. :lol:

Todd,

any Hydroscand shop nearby? Kalmar at least? They stock silicone hoses in different shapes and sizes. That's where I got mine and I can't recall that their prices were outrageous. ;)