Disco 200TDi into a 110 Hard Top

Hi,

After reading through some very good articles on fitting a 200 TDi (Discovery) engine into a 110 I thought that I would take the plunge. At this point I think it worth saying that I am new to this level of mechanics and have so far limited my interference to the basics.

What I am after is some advice on what maintenance/improvements I can do the 200 TDi engine before it goes into the engine bay of the 110? I currently have the complete Disco, so are there any parts that I can strip from the donor vehicle that will benefit the 110? As there is currently no power steering in the 110 I will be doing that as part of the engine refit along with the Disco transfer box. I will hopefully have some one with greater technical knowledge to assist me…hopefully.

With all the changes I intend to upgrade to a heavy duty clutch kit (possibly Britparts) and clutch arm (again Britpart) – unless any one has an alternative manufacturer/supplier. Do I order the clutch kit and arm to fit the Disco (donor vehicle) or the 110? Or does it not matter? As the turbo is almost dead I was looking at getting it refurbished. I have also been told that there is a conversion kit that enables the turbo to be located higher up, like in the Defender engine, with the added bonus that it gives you a new turbo (and pipes) rather than a just refurbing the old one. Does any one know if this is worth while and if so a manufacturer/supplier?

Greatly appreciate your time

:blink:

I'd use these clutch parts

friction plate 110/130 heavy duty FTC1994

cover plate URB100760

release bearing FTC5200

Contact Les Henson on here by PM as he had some reinforced clutch beraing lever arms for sale for the forum, he might have some left.

not sure about the turbo relocation, leaving it in the original place is fine & there is a Steve Parker kit to connect it. more info here

good luck with the swap & don't forget we like pictures of howthings are going :D

I would avoid the britpart clutch and go for a well known company such as Borg and beck/AP ect. You can pinch the PAS box ect from the disco but i think you will need a new drop arm with the swan neck, someone correct me if im wrong?

I dont think it would really be worth the effot to change the position of the turbo as it will fit into the engine bay, It may well be worth changing the Turbo if it is dead........but what makes you think the old one is dead?

Whilst the engine ect is out/ accsess is good change the timing belt and tensioner for piece of mind......Use genuine parts for the tensioner and belt or a Dayco belt again it isnt worth skimmping a few £££s on these sort of things as if they go wrong it will give you no end of trouble.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=2394

loads of info in the above link too.

Dave.

:)

A very big thank you to every one replied....I will try and put together pics and words of wisdom (if I can come up with any!). It makes it so much easier and a much nicer experience when knowledge is freely given..

Thanks again

I would avoid the britpart clutch and go for a well known company such as Borg and beck/AP ect. You can pinch the PAS box ect from the disco but i think you will need a new drop arm with the swan neck, someone correct me if im wrong?

I dont think it would really be worth the effot to change the position of the turbo as it will fit into the engine bay, It may well be worth changing the Turbo if it is dead........but what makes you think the old one is dead?

Whilst the engine ect is out/ accsess is good change the timing belt and tensioner for piece of mind......Use genuine parts for the tensioner and belt or a Dayco belt again it isnt worth skimmping a few £££s on these sort of things as if they go wrong it will give you no end of trouble.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=2394

loads of info in the above link too.

Dave.

Thanks for the topic link, that is the one that gave me the courage to go ahead and do the conversion!

I suspect the turbo as being dead because I haven't heard that lovely whistle, economy is poor and the acceleration is alot less than it should be capable of delivering. If there is a more technical way of confirming it, I am all ears.

Defo be using quality and or original parts (although as it now seems NO Britparts!) as I would rather do it right and just the once!

Cheers

I'd use these clutch parts

friction plate 110/130 heavy duty FTC1994

cover plate URB100760

release bearing FTC5200

Contact Les Henson on here by PM as he had some reinforced clutch beraing lever arms for sale for the forum, he might have some left.

not sure about the turbo relocation, leaving it in the original place is fine & there is a Steve Parker kit to connect it. more info here

good luck with the swap & don't forget we like pictures of howthings are going :D

Sorry being new to the forum, what does contacting some one by PM mean? :huh:

Like the look of the STeve Parker site so wil be giving that a check out.

Thanks

Sorry being new to the forum, what does contacting some one by PM mean? :huh:

Like the look of the STeve Parker site so wil be giving that a check out.

Thanks

PM = Personal message. Hover over the name of someone you wish to PM and a list comes up, one of whic says send message (=PM).