Whats that then?

TimR

Afternoon all.

A transporter full of Army defenders has just gone past in olive drab with an elephant silhouette stamped on their doors. What does that represent?

Tim

The truck was a service transporter in a broken convoy with 3 other large trucks (including a great looking old scammel) which were carrying odds and ends south on the Elgin to Aviemore road - to join up with the A9 I would imagine. Of course the two main bases near Elgin are Lossiemouth and Kinloss RAF stations.. Fort George (The Black Watch) is a little further up the road but unlikely they would take this route south.

The elephant was almost iconographic, sprayed on, matt black against the olive drab - no border.

not usual for RAF vehicles to wear markings on the vehicle sides, 2MT normally only display that badge on the front grille of the HGV's.

not usual for RAF vehicles to wear markings on the vehicle sides, 2MT normally only display that badge on the front grille of the HGV's.
Maybe in your day Ralph :P but nowa day's if there is a spare spot on the wagon we will put it there, and 2 MT now put all there markings on the door's front grills and curtains on the 40ft trailers. They have their elephant carrying a log sprayed in matt black with no border. :D

If you look in this link, you will see a picture with an oskosh and the elephant markings on the door. Also like my unit we have a swift over a nautical star on our green fleet wagons and this is done in matt black.

what link ?

Sorry Ralph having a blonde moment lol

no worries, reckon that fits the bill. didn't know RAF had those Oshkosh tractors, must be for the TSW forward refuellers. the navy have some at Yoevilton for the marines choppers.

no worries, reckon that fits the bill. didn't know RAF had those Oshkosh tractors, must be for the TSW forward refuellers. the navy have some at Yoevilton for the marines choppers.
Correct Ralph they are TSW driven by 2 MT. In the RAF now you will find more and more of this including TCW TPW etc

Thats that's the one! I didn't notice the log. Interesting to see it sprayed on (the rather new looking) Defender doors. I'm told the base defenders have a relativity pleasant life (unless the night shift gets hold of them)..

Thanks all.

• 1 month later...
definately 2mt sqn markings,otherwise known as elephant trucking co.they used to run out of 16mu stafford but i think that has closed down,bit out of it now as i left the raf in 1995,happy days.

Stafford closed all the Stores gone to Donnigton & 2MT re-based at Wittering.