AWDC Challenger Round 2 Aftermath

all good in theory, however, does the co-driver pay the bills for repair? in my case - i don't, therefore would not feel overly happy driving their truck just incase. but the choice is yours on that one. depends what it is I suppose.

(just waiting for Les, to say something now, and Turner for that matter)

plus the other point - I can damage cars really well without being in them.

As far as the rush rush rush time thing, some people out there do need help - first event, ok fine - understand that, we have all been there. I would also like to think I would be one of the first to help them out too, if pos. However in some cases - e.g. mine and Dan's we have had to go hell for leather to get any points at all, and to give Dan (my Chauffeur for the day) a proper experience of a competition - which is also the idea of it all. Dan having only done 5 events in total I think. He now knows pretty much every angle that truck can do without failing over, JOB DONE. :D

The other side of the coin is - if you know you are slow, and there is a more experienced lot arriving at the same time to the same punch - why not let the experienced go first, watch what they do to get the punch. Then repeat or try to, if you think its safe to do so. You can even ask the Biatch questions - we don't bite you know. plus whilst the Lrs winching in, there aint much to do in some cases so ask away.

my pennies worth.

I do agree with pig on the co-driver idea about driving, It is very difficult for the driver (the one with the large financial commitment) to sit and watch some one else destroy his vehicle. (i do that well enough behind the wheel, and he does it well enough on the end of a winch rope!)

I do like to help other's because ive had alot of help and support and it is very much a swings and round about situation. In some case's you cant always help and you have to move on tho. I have watched other peopl do punches before me

Due to Pig chewwing ropes in the morning we did not have a great start! I do believe we had done only 6-9 punches in 3 hours, which ment we did have a lot of catching up to do in the later part of the event. Also it was only my 5th challenge event and it is good to experiance the pressure of having to catch up.

Also this event is very good to give the car a good work out and an event to try some different things, we did try thinking outside the box and try doing things differently to other people aswell, Which we wont talk to much about. :unsure::blink:

Dan

I take on board the comments about a co-driver doing damage to a car (that doesn't belong to them), but looking at the previous event it is clear that no damage could occour from the type of special stage that is being set. After all that is the whole idea of the clubman events, so it can be done on an entry level with minimal damage.

I take on board the comments about a co-driver doing damage to a car (that doesn't belong to them), but looking at the previous event it is clear that no damage could occour from the type of special stage that is being set. After all that is the whole idea of the clubman events, so it can be done on an entry level with minimal damage.

YOU SAY THAT BUT YOU SHOULD SEE THE DAMAGE ON MY VEHICLE! :ph34r::blink:

As everybody knows who compete's body damage can occur. But it isn't absolutely necessary to beat the car up, compaired to a higher level event like the Howling Wolf we managed to do well with little damage. Where as in the Howling Wolf we would need to go harder and thus do much more damage to come anywhere near the top.

Also this event is very good to give the car a good work out and an event to try some different things, we did try thinking outside the box and try doing things differently to other people aswell, Which we wont talk to much about.

Dan

Perhaps that is the reason for so much damage?

I think you are getting side tracked by the damage issue here.

I know for a fact that there are at least two drivers in the series who will categorically not let anyone else drive their car.

On that basis it is impractical to put in a stage that requires it.

I also think you are over-emphasing the amount of damage which can be incurred in the Howlin' Wolf series making it sound like a demolition derby which it is not. :angry:

I am not trying to make the Howlin Wolf sound like anything and far from a demolition derby. I am simply trying to say that i entered a CLUBMAN event and as such the level of punches should be acheivabe by a more standard vehicle that can be driven to and from an event with the team being competitive.

If i entered an event at a higher level, i wouldn't be as competitive, as it takes longer to do punches (with less ability) so to do more it is likely i would need to go faster and that seems (in my opion) when damage is done.

Surley that was the reason for the handi cap system, so novices get more points per punch and an expert less. Making it fairer overall.

I feel it is a little sad that somone can't let their co driver drive their car for a simple special stage (where it is very unlikly any damage would occour, and again its a CLUBMAN event) yet they will let the same person put them into situations on punches where damage can occur. Also the special stage is completly optional so they need not let anyone else drive.

I'd like to just say one thing on the co-driver driving the special stages in this event !

Not Fare !!!!!

I can tell you that there are a few co drivers in this competition that could out drive many people on site, thus giving an unfare advantage to the stages. If you would have asked me on the slidon SS i would have said NO sorry.

Blind folded or not.

As for the howling wolf comp, you will find it is more a technical difficulty set up than a demolition derby. I've Competed, organised, marshaled and genrally helped out for many many years and if you use your truck in the right manor and all of your equipment correctly you will find very minamal damage at the end of the day. You dont need to have a tray back and challenge wings to be competitive. I prooved that mayself, even competing against some of the entrants on this challenge.

Oh and just a little note to the new comers! You will find different formats in one way or another on every event thats set up by different clubs i.e. the way teams are categorized, the scoring sysem, overall experiance and truck type.

Mr Bass himself competed in my challenge last year and i think he will agree it was a lot harder than what is being layed on at the moment in this clubman category. It all good experiance to move people on to the bigger harder comps like HW, TFC, and so on.

Remember it just a Truck in some Mud.

You'll get the same score if you just have fun. ;)

What i find hard to belive is that people fail to read and understand other peopls posts fully! :angry: Then they spout off about this and that.

I fully understand that Neil needed to state that the Howlin Wolf isnt set out to damage peoples trucks. And i in no way meant it to sound like that. I simple used the event as an example of a higher level event, i could have used aothers but didn't. I am sorry Neil that my post came out in a way that can be misunderstood by people suggesting damage was unavoidable.

This all started because i said i enjoyed the special stages so far (answering a question which was posted) and then suggested an option for a special stage that i thought would be fun for co-drivers. After all some of the co-drivers are as inexperanced as their drivers. So why do we all have to suffer because a few people have experanced co-drivers?

Howlin Wolf is no way a demolition derby! Nor is Challenger 4x4.

Don't get me wrong I'm not moaning about the damage! It is part and parcel of what we do! Most of the damage was occured when winch ropes broke. I do also like to use tree's as pivot points! B)

I enjopyed the ss at slindon, for some strange reason i also enjoyed the ss at hogmoor! :D

Dan

I am sorry Neil that my post came out in a way that can be misunderstood by people suggesting damage was unavoidable.

No offence intended or taken :D just didn't want to revert back to the perceptions of a few years ago that we have worked so hard to leave behind.

As Nick says its all down to how things are driven, trees are trees, rocks are rocks, water is water and if you don't treat them all with respect they will bite back.

Well done to Challenger for a brilliant day, a good range of punches, some were easy ( dan still got stuck mind) and some were quite good fun with ropes snaping left right a centre. Hats of to Dan, only made a few noises of - WOOOOw, as the car shifted about on the slopes.

Hopefully I will get a green card for the next one,, great day out. and Dan - get some ruddy decent ropes would you.

Cheers for a good day Paul/Lucy, really good fun. just tell me that was harder than the previous event as Turner will crucify me for not doing better.

ps- well done Si, good performance mate.

pps - Dan - your Lr don't look like that top pic anymore does it. lol

You tart, 4th :o at a site that you know like the back of your hand :rolleyes: go and hold your head in shame!!!

Bl**dy 4th... green card for next time............. some hope!

shocking I know Mr T,

but hey ho.. such is life, for the next event it will be a little easier to do better, as I will have two new ropes to play with... and not this bailing twine look alike - actually bailing twine is stronter I am sure of it. :o)

we couldn't of won the event anyway, even with the last few punches, the winners got more points than poss for us.

You tart, 4th :o at a site that you know like the back of your hand :rolleyes: go and hold your head in shame!!!

Bl**dy 4th... green card for next time............. some hope!

I don't agree with starting a punch section unless a: its clear to do so, b: if there is room to do so, c: safe to do so.

if some one else tries it whilst I am rigging up or winching about they will soon be told to go away. unless they are assisting somehow.

Paul, Lucy, Sara & Neil, you are all doing a great job as far as I can see - you're probably all paddling like mad under the surface, though. The coordination is good. Marshalls are helpful and are mostly located around the groups of punches so can be quickly located if necessary. There are no problems here...

I felt a little dubious about posting what I did and I don’t feel that pointing fingers and naming people will help because, after all, it is a competition (albeit a Clubman level one) and that brings out the fighting spirit in people. I thought that maybe a comment on an open forum might make some realise that, as you have said, everyone has to start somewhere and some are slower than others even though they may have a bit of experience. The people that do it will know who they are...

With regard to breaking the tape, people will also know that by breaking the tape they have not fully complied with the rules of the event. I know that the tape can be broken by accident – I’ve done it as a result of a winch rope snapping – but it takes approximately 1 minute to locate a marshal and advise them so that it can be rectified (short of that, there’s always the CB channel that all drivers are made aware of at the beginning of the day) so that all competitors are playing the same field as it were.

If someone stops in the way, it takes longer to get out of the punch/section and therefore creates more delay for those that feel that every second counts. I understand that people want to get on and give a relatively new driver a taste of what he/she will be up against in the likes of the Howling Wolf, but it is no excuse for arrogance and general bad manners. I personally have a few winch challenge events under my belt (as does my co-driver) but Sunday was only the second time that I have used my 90 in a competitive environment. Previously, I’ve been used to Range Rovers and Discoveries, so it takes a little time to acclimatise to a different vehicle. I also don’t have a vehicle that I can just throw at obstacles and know that the trayback/wing bars will just rub past it or push it out of the way. I need the vehicle to be in a reasonable condition at the end of the day so that I can drive it home again. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not overly precious about the truck, and I will still have a go at most things, but...

Pigster - I have no problem if 2 cars arrive at a punch at the same time. We are all adults and can make the decisions as necessary. It's when I'm halfway through a punch and my exit is blocked that I get a little annoyed. I don't mean stamping up and down throwing my toys out of the pram, miffed is probably the best way to put it... To be honest, if a winch rope snaps and there is damage, I’m not worried about the other car. I’m worried about me, my co-driver and my own vehicle and equipment.

Next time, I think a little wave of my keys will be the order of the day.......call me an @rse if you like, but it works in public car parks!! I’ve paid exactly the same entry fee as everyone else for the privilege of competing, so I don’t feel that I have any additional rights over anyone else – maybe others think differently......

Last of all, please read this at least twice as it is meant as it reads. It's not meant to start WW3........

shocking I know Mr T,

but hey ho.. such is life, for the next event it will be a little easier to do better, as I will have two new ropes to play with... and not this bailing twine look alike - actually bailing twine is stronter I am sure of it. :o)

we couldn't of won the event anyway, even with the last few punches, the winners got more points than poss for us.

Bailing twine - you haven't seen what we got to play with on the front! and no thinking out side the box this time pig .... :rolleyes:

It is true Mr T but even if we had all the punches we would not have been able to win the day! :huh::o But we will do our best at round 3! won't we pig (this time we might actually get to have lunch at the cafe) B)

Dan

Hi a good day at that site, it was my two friends Nick and Matt that won and full praise to them it was only there 2nd ever event so classed as novice and scoring 100points per punch, but they did get 27 punches, this i think proves the scoring system to be very good and fair, well done to the organisers.

As for damage we both had quite a bit (tubular wings next time) but i can honestly put my hands up and say my fault, if you want to have no damage you can still have a bloody good day

Danny boy - -its not thinking outside the box (as such) its called try no to be a sheep and go your own route if you can. Just because there are tracks or ruts does not mean you have to use them -- most of the time you probably should not use them. if you were in a suzuki then we would of made that alternative route I choose - - thin down your motor would you. :lol:

round 3 - - yep, thinking head will be on, and the punch side sorted out too - -DOH. :D:rolleyes:

Bailing twine - you haven't seen what we got to play with on the front! and no thinking out side the box this time pig .... :rolleyes:

It is true Mr T but even if we had all the punches we would not have been able to win the day! :huh::o But we will do our best at round 3! won't we pig (this time we might actually get to have lunch at the cafe) B)

Dan

Dan,

Slim fast..so what've lost and more importantly how much do you think you've lost weight wise ?

Well Les,

I only had a sandwich for lunch today no crisps or chocolate so I'm thinking I lost some already! :P

Seriously tho!

This weekend is when I start! moving stuff about and cutting bits off!! It is not going to lose aload of weight, but the weight will be better distributed! I will weigh it before and after tho!

Dan