Waste oil heater

jules

You need a licence too.

Burn anything else other than engine oil and they tend to smoke a bit as well. ;)

It for a car work shop so it should only be used engine oil

I didn't know you needed a licence for them I would think he should get one with ease as its been a workshop for 15years or so.

It's a wood burner I made from three tractor rims, centres removed, and stood on end.

I put in a 10mm oil feed that drips onto the fire. It will run totally on oil using a few bits of wood as a wick, or if you have a good wood fire going it adds extra heat.

It does burn clean when hot, probably more suitable for a farm than an industrial estate.

It's a wood burner I made from three tractor rims, centres removed, and stood on end.

I put in a 10mm oil feed that drips onto the fire. It will run totally on oil using a few bits of wood as a wick, or if you have a good wood fire going it adds extra heat.

It does burn clean when hot, probably more suitable for a farm than an industrial estate.

Ah, a simple one then! I have come across designs using petrol injectors and burning a fine mist of oil. Hoped it might be something like that!

Si

Thought I would show you my waste oil burner using 2 landrover brake drums.

PC050581Small.JPG

The pipe going up glows red and gives off loads of heat :)

The smoke is bad when you initially light it but it burns clean once it is hot.

The bottom drum has had all the holes welded up to create a large dish to hold the oil.

There are a lot of holes (20ish) 10mm around the bottom pipe about 1/2" up from the top brake drum.

There are 3 holes 10mm about 1'6" up the first pipe.

The pipe diamiter is a close fit to the center of the brake drum.

The ferocity? of the fire is controlled by blocking up or unblocking the top brake drum stud holes.

I 3/4 fill the bottom drum with waste oil then add a splash of petrol and drop a burning rag onto it then put the top drum back on.

Yes I have burnt the hairs of the back of my hands and sindged my fringe and eye brows experementing :blink:

Thought I would show you my waste oil burner using 2 landrover brake drums.

PC050581Small.JPG

Yes I have burnt the hairs of the back of my hands and sindged my fringe and eye brows experementing :blink:

I though I was mad with fire

My dad has a more conventional oil burner made from an old propane cylinder. It smokes - lots. Rob's looks like a much more dramatic solution though - where do you put the oil in (continuously)?

I only fill the bottom pan then re fill once it has gone out 3/4 - 1 hour.

I have seen a burner like this with a long length of brake pipe with a tap from a 5 gallon drum on a stand feeding in through one of the stud holes.

The tap was used to controll the oil flow to be sufficient to keep the bottom of the pan covered in oil.

• 1 year later...

Here's a photo demonstrating how simple an oil heater can be.

sv400034.jpg

I have had a drip fed waste oil heater heating my house for eight years now, and although it is not pretty, there is a very good trade off between looks and costs. Prior to fitting the heater, I used to cut and burn 25-6 tons of firewood every winter, the cutting and splitting of which severely cut into my leisure time.

The photo above was sent to me by a gentleman in New Zealand who has since built and installed a modified and much prettier version of my own. He assembled this in his back garden just to test the principle because as he admitted later he did not believe that it was so simple. The lower end of the flue is made from an old cylinder liner from a Mack truck and being cast iron, is easy to drill, highly resistant to heat damage and cheap and easy to replace if you need to. I have not replaced mine in eight years and it is not showing any signs of burning out. There are four versions of my heater now in use that I know of. One heats a lap pool used by a paraplegic, the others are heating homes and a workshop.

Regardless of what you may have been told, they can be made to work very successfully without smoke or unpleasant odours, although they can take a bit of mucking about to fine tune as they do not have a great range of clean burning temperatures and need to be set up to burn cleanly at or near the temperature best for your purposes. As for licenses, there is no provision for licensing here in Australia, but if asked I would say, "Don't ask and don't tell" what the authorities are unaware of is obviously doing little or no harm.

A bit of history on mine can be found here: http://www.geocities.com/senojekips/shed.htm

Here it is in it's finished form. Cheap heat!

SV400011a.jpg

This is NOT my heater, but an improved version. It is owned by, and all of the work was done by a New Zealand Policeman. I think the standard of work is a credit to him.

• 1 year later...

After 11 years of use I have finally been shamed into giving my heater a "birthday" and implementing the improvements I was telling others to try.

This is the testing done prior to moving it back inside.

And here it is in use.