Welding ali to steel

MogLite

Just been watching a program on Discovery Science.

They are building fast boats, on one of the ferries, it had a steel hull and an aliminium superstructure.

So they had this strip of metal about 4" thick that was steel "explosively fused" to aliminium !!

They then used this a joiner between the hull and super-structure, to weld steel to steel, and ali to ali - wild :D

There's a filler rod, think called AU12 or something like that, that you buy at something like £40 for a metre, a bloke from Sweden does the classic bike shows et cetera and joins foil wrappers to beer cans et cetera with it, a friend brought some and joined two bits of alloy sheet together using a butane torch and a screwdriver, we distroyed the 2mm sheet before the joint went :blink: makes Ali-weld look like old technology

There's a filler rod, think called AU12 or something like that, that you buy at something like £40 for a metre, a bloke from Sweden does the classic bike shows et cetera and joins foil wrappers to beer cans et cetera with it, a friend brought some and joined two bits of alloy sheet together using a butane torch and a screwdriver, we distroyed the 2mm sheet before the joint went :blink: makes Ali-weld look like old technology

It's good stuff - but essentially the same technology as Ali-Weld, just slightly different formulation.

Si

Just been watching a program on Discovery Science.

They are building fast boats, on one of the ferries, it had a steel hull and an aliminium superstructure.

So they had this strip of metal about 4" thick that was steel "explosively fused" to aliminium !!

They then used this a joiner between the hull and super-structure, to weld steel to steel, and ali to ali - wild :D

I saw that too- bloody amazing- one of the seacats wasn't it?

i was more interested in the explosive welding technique personally.

Did you see that program a while ago about the seacats- someone had leased one from the manufacturers in tazmania, and two of the turbos had failed 4 months later.

A snip at £175,000 a piece :blink::blink::o

• 2 weeks later...
I saw that too- bloody amazing- one of the seacats wasn't it?

i was more interested in the explosive welding technique personally.

Did you see that program a while ago about the seacats- someone had leased one from the manufacturers in tazmania, and two of the turbos had failed 4 months later.

A snip at £175,000 a piece :blink::blink::o

bloody hell, when I saw the heading I said out loud "you can't..." then read the thread....ooops.

Whenever we had to join aluminium to steel on race cars, and we pinched this from the airdcraft bods, it was a bloody long and painstaking process of etching the ally, particularly if it used an alclad coating (eg 2024, or 7075) copious amounts of methylethylketone to get it really clean, and an adhesive from 3M called Scotchweld 2216 B/A that was mixed by weight. The whole assembly was clamped and rivetted. Ciba Geigy also used to make some trick adhesives.

BTW, the Army here leased some of those Seacats for the East Timor conflict a few years ago. It was the only way they could get troops in there quickly enough in numbers.

• 5 months later...

Aluminium smelters around the world have used similar bi-metalic welds for over 30 years.

They use steel yokes in the carbon anodes and steel bars in the carbon cathodes. The anode rods are aluminium, with a bi-metalic joint to the yoke. A bi-metallic joint is also used to connect the cathode bars to the busbars.

The early bi-metalics (steel to aluminium) were friction welded together, now (I haven't done much work for the aluminium industry for several years) they are roll welded (at high pressure). Some kind of tungsten or titanium (memory is a bit dim now) compound is used between the steel and aluminium.