Who sells decent lifting springs these days?

Afternoon folks.

Every man and his dog seems to be selling springs and shocks these days, most of them Britpart or so it would seem. Who sells decent springs? Are these Britpart ones any good? I'm also after a set of 11" shocks I expect Gwyn Lewis is best for these? Unless anybody has any other suggestions

Cheers all

Roll

shock wise you have 3 options

OME

Pro Comp

Rough country

OME springs are supposed to be very good but cost a pritty penny, I think the ones on my 90 are britpart, The fronts have started to sag, They are about 3 years old roughly.

Devon 4x4 do all the OME bits

Rough Country are from llama 4x4

Dave.

Afternoon folks.

Every man and his dog seems to be selling springs and shocks these days, most of them Britpart or so it would seem. Who sells decent springs? Are these Britpart ones any good? I'm also after a set of 11" shocks I expect Gwyn Lewis is best for these? Unless anybody has any other suggestions

Cheers all

Roll

I've just found a broken front spring on the nas, bought them as +1inch a few years ago from a supplier in the mags

Just spoken to Gwyn who supplies OME and a couple of springs will get packed tomorrow, hows that for service ;) and a discount for the forum as well, top man :D

Simon R reckeons OME are the best of the bunch at the moment so go and give Gwyn a shout.

Landrover make rather good springs and by making the right choices you can get a lift too.

Chris

Hmm. That is completely confusing... although it would seem that rear springs are longer?

What genuine springs would give a 90 with no winch a lift, but still be nicely supple for trialling?

Hmm. That is completely confusing... although it would seem that rear springs are longer?

What genuine springs would give a 90 with no winch a lift, but still be nicely supple for trialling?

How much of a lift and how supple? Does it go on road too?

It does but not on a regular basis, only from one muddy place to another. I want as much lift as I can get but I still want to get the axles on the bump stops when cross axled, which I dont think would happen if I fitted much stiffer springs.

Chris W is spot on :)

With a bit of research and time you can have exactly what you wnat

Start 1st with what you either have now, or what you should have, and use with LR90s

spring height calculator. Then work out what and how much and what sort of lift you wnat - ie

How much higher, and do you want softer or firmer suspension, ie for mine

I have softened the suspension and put much longer springs on it than std, all

genuine LR stuff, and the spring calc of Trevs and the Spring info is amazingly accurate

You could also just put harder poundages in same length and that gives lift too, depends

what you wnat to end up with as an aside with me now having very soft very long springs

in the springs extend more than before before dislocating which gives more force

for longer on a axle drooping than just a spring hanging in the air, ...then you need to

think shocks as well....and so on

1st Q really is Why you wnat the lift in the 1st place, and what you use your LR for mainly

that then should give you a chosen route vs Poundages vs spring lengths vs lift....

Lots to consider other than just "How much Lift" "Hopw you do it" is often more importnant

and sometimes trickier :lol:

Nige

It does but not on a regular basis, only from one muddy place to another. I want as much lift as I can get but I still want to get the axles on the bump stops when cross axled, which I dont think would happen if I fitted much stiffer springs.

red/whites front and rear will give 2-2.5" lift, depending on weight, and will be supple enough off road to make use of a good suspension set-up. OK for occasional use on road too, a bit soft for day to day use imho, although I'm sure several will disagree ;)

Steve

Nige, thanks. To answer your question, I want lift because on the front I have approx 2.5" from axle to bumpstop, and my dragling goes UP to the axle eng haha. What colour code springs do you run?

Point to note - I have blue stripes on the front springs, which from the table are comparitavely short and soft?! Maybe I just have the wrong springs fitted.

Blue or Blue and Whites are around 130 From memory very soft, and off RR front

I run now

Fronts - Red Yellow 17.18 inches and 150 LBS (plus spacer to make lift drivers corner)

Rears - Green Yellow 16.2 inch 170 lbs

V8 Stds are :

Fronts 175 and 175 Lbs and 14.8 / 15.19 inches (handed)

Rears 225 Lbs 14.8 / 15.31 (handed)

Plus 5 inch shocks front and rear and a few other mods

Its a V8 (factory) 90 now truck cab with NOR Cage etc

Suspension is VERY soft but rather pleasant for a LR :lol:

Steve Gs post re Red & Whites is very good advice, I know 2x 90s with those

one a diesel <shudder> the other an Hyrbidy V8 90 both seem quite level and work well

Nige

Right. Just fitted some second hand Red/Whites. It sits about 2.5" higher, giving about 5" clearance under the bump stops on the front. Not sure what's on the back, i hav'nt touched that yet.

Nige, I reckon my front springs are essentially the same as yours, but 20lb higher rate. This should (hopefully) work well with my heaver and probably further forward mounted 200tdi.

I think my standard shocks are too short now though.

i go with those above about the red/whites on the front - basically the same spring rate as standard diesel fronts, just 2" longer.

i have these fitted and on road they aint much different to standard springs in terms of ride quality and handling (cos the rates are jsut about the same) and i can still get them up to the bumpstops and give a good 2" lift.

on the rear i've tried allsorts! Still experimenting to get the perfect springs... These are the more successful ones i've tried.

red/whites are super flexy on the back and will compress to the bumpstops easily (too easily i think) but are a handful on the road. Excellent for a trials motor that does little road miles.

disco 300tdi h/d progressive rears were better, slightly stiffer than the red/whites and still allows you to hit the bumpstops and gives about 1.5" lift. I had to add an isolator ring to add an extra 1/2" to level the truck and fit relocation cones.

disco military rears (my current springs) are fairly stiff and give superb road handling and can just about hit the bumpstops if you are moving at walking pace over lumps and bumps - but wont hit the stops under a static test, eg rti posing ramp. Again a 2" lift and relocation cones required.

i'm currently trying to find out information on disco td5 spring rates, as i have a gut feeling they would work nice, as the hold up a heavy D2 nicely and yet offer a supple ride... anyone who has info on them please PM me!

whatever springs you use, chuck on some +2" shocks and you're ready to rock! With +2" shocks you wont need to alter shock mounts or muck about with bumpstop lengths, as they wont bottom out and will give you a good bit of extra droop to.

here's a pic of mine flexing with the above setup.

40600015.JPG