Auto conversion transmission tunnel conundrum

Having just plonked a ZF auto box in place of my LT85 I now find the tunnel doesn't fit over the transfer selector components. I'm using the FRC8558 transfer bracket as recommended by Ashcrofts.

The transfer lever is further rearwood than before, so the hole for the hi lo lever is too far forward.

My tunnel is factory V8 & LT85 spec of 1986 vintage. Are the LT85 gear levers all mounted further forward than in the Tdi?

It has been suggested that I use a 300Tdi tunnel, now I expect this will then not match my seat box, comments anyone?

Next question is will the 300Tdi tunnel match up with my bulkhead?

All help gratefully received.

Thanks,

When I put an auto box in my 90 with an RR 3.5 V8 we started from the transfer box and worked forward, and mounted the engine where it needed to go. This gave standard props all round.

With regard to your seat box and tunnel question, I think you will be needing the bracket that goes between bulkhead and tunnel and new tunnel and seatbox.

When I put an auto box in my 90 with an RR 3.5 V8 we started from the transfer box and worked forward, and mounted the engine where it needed to go. This gave standard props all round.

With regard to your seat box and tunnel question, I think you will be needing the bracket that goes between bulkhead and tunnel and new tunnel and seatbox.

Hi there,

I'm in a slightly different situation. The vehicle was originally a V8, so engine and gearbox are all in factory standard positions. LT85 and ZF auto are both the same length.

I've just looked at a Tdi 90 and found that the hole in the tunnel is a good few inches further back compared to mine. So new tunnel and bulkhead adapter will be needed. Hopefully I can modify the seat box flange.

Cheers,

When my tunnel fouled the high low shifter mechanism I adjusted it with a ball peen hammer...... :) created the requisite bulge quite nicely. I did only need about 15mm though.

Peculiar, I've converted few V8 L/Rs to auto, used FRC8558 and everything came through the tunnel in the right place.

I can't remember if it was an 85 or 77 that came out as it was about 20 years ago. Tunnel was a one piece fiberglass job.

I do remember using a few bits of RR linkage to make it all work, but it still lined up with the hole in the original tunnel.

How far out is it, any chance of putting up a photo?

Are you sure it was a factory V8?

Peculiar, I've converted few V8 L/Rs to auto, used FRC8558 and everything came through the tunnel in the right place.

I can't remember if it was an 85 or 77 that came out as it was about 20 years ago. Tunnel was a one piece fiberglass job.

I do remember using a few bits of RR linkage to make it all work, but it still lined up with the hole in the original tunnel.

How far out is it, any chance of putting up a photo?

Are you sure it was a factory V8?

Hi Pat

Definitely a factory V8 with LT85, I've had it since it was quite young. The tunnel is plastic with a VERY thick piece of foam behind it.

Having looked at a 90 300Tdi since starting this topic it is now clear that the LT85 tunnel aperture is a good few inches further forward. This does at least explain why it all looked wrong to start with.

Hi, I put a 1985 90 body onto a range rover chassis, just cut 190mm out of the chassis rails in the middle. The 2.25 engine /transmission tunnel fitted straight over without fouling anything. I left the auto gearbox and 3.5efi engine /mountings in their original positions.

Max

Having just plonked a ZF auto box in place of my LT85 I now find the tunnel doesn't fit over the transfer selector components. I'm using the FRC8558 transfer bracket as recommended by Ashcrofts.

The transfer lever is further rearwood than before, so the hole for the hi lo lever is too far forward.

I had the same thing with my V8 auto conversion. It was very slightly out requiring some modification to the tunnel opening. Also very tight on the seatbox.