Dreaded Spider/Immobiliser advice!?!

hi help needed please, i know that this topic has been covered in huge detail in the past, but was just wondering if anybody knows, does the "bypass kit AMR4956" fit Defender 300tdi 90s? i have been experiencing the described symptoms and after changing the fuel filter and fuel lift pump and not curing the intermittent,cutting out when warm, problem (very annoying :angry: ) decided to investigate further and came across the "Definitive" Spider etc etc guide. All sounded very familiar, but only really talks about Discos. Really appreciate any advice as my 90csw has spent most of the weekend with his head turned to the hedge in disgrace as we were supposed to be off to Gaydon! Never mind there's always next year. <_<

I don't know if they are the same unit, the best thing I could suggest is to strip the dash and have a look. I reparied the spider on my V8 Disco and it's been as good as gold since then.

hi help needed please, i know that this topic has been covered in huge detail in the past, but was just wondering if anybody knows, does the "bypass kit AMR4956" fit Defender 300tdi 90s? i have been experiencing the described symptoms and after changing the fuel filter and fuel lift pump and not curing the intermittent,cutting out when warm, problem (very annoying :angry: ) decided to investigate further and came across the "Definitive" Spider etc etc guide. All sounded very familiar, but only really talks about Discos. Really appreciate any advice as my 90csw has spent most of the weekend with his head turned to the hedge in disgrace as we were supposed to be off to Gaydon! Never mind there's always next year. <_<

Jen,

It fits my 90 300TDi CSW 1997. You unplug the immobliser and replace it with the bypass, all works fine. Pm me for further info

Richard

Jen,

It fits my 90 300TDi CSW 1997. You unplug the immobliser and replace it with the bypass, all works fine. Pm me for further info

Richard

Thanks again Richard!

Will be fighting with the black box etc this weekend, so will let you know how i get on.

Interested to hear about the expedition prep, maybe an oppurtunity for some good posing photos?!

B)

It is the same unit,but its in a rivetted black box,bolted to the inside front face of the LH front seat box.Grind the rivets off to open it up and plug the spider in.Seems more common on Disco's but I've done quite a few on Defenders too.

It is the same unit,but its in a rivetted black box,bolted to the inside front face of the LH front seat box.Grind the rivets off to open it up and plug the spider in.Seems more common on Disco's but I've done quite a few on Defenders too.

Only consolation seems to be that you dont have to destroy half your dash to get at it in a defender! Unfortunately being a csw the Solihull bods thought it was a good idea to glue carpet to the seat box??! So some careful peeling and re-glueing is in order. :huh:

Thats the trouble with having a "posh" County - carpets to go soggy in a LR,whatever next ! I dont take the dash centre out in Disco's,its too much trouble.I just take out the radio and one of the spider screws so it can turn a bit,then unplug the spider and plug in the link lead. 15 mins tops.

Update on my problem with cutting out- now resolved :D

Replaced the dreaded spider unit, THE END! Hmm not quite, the "simply plug in replacement bypass unit" was preceded by several hours of drilling, hitting,cursing,bleeding and cups of tea. :angry: Eventually got into the @#*$?! black box,the bods really knew how to make that secure! :huh: Anyway once inside pandora's box it really was just a case of plug and play. Still, had to take the csw for a test spin to check (that's my excuse and i'm sticking to it). So many thanks to all for the advice until the next hiccup and im sure there will be plenty! Jen.