Holden 202 Red motor.

Ally V8

Anyone in the UK using a Holden 6 in a series 2 or 3 ? If you are what sort of carb/s are you using and do you have any sump to front axle clearance problems ? There is an engine waiting for me in OZ, and I was wondering if anyone else is enjoying one here.

Dont bother to fit a holden motor in a landy . (unless its a Ls1 V8)

They do not like revving , usually throw # 3 rod . I think they used them in OZ because they were dirt cheap . ( the earlier smaller motors were not too bad as they were shorter stroke )

If you want a petrol six then the 245 hemi Chrysler is the way to go . I fitted one in a FC 109 they will rev and lots of torque , so you have to be gentle with the series gearbox HTSH

Ta for that,I'll be using it anyway because the whole engine and conversion kit has been given to me and the 2 1/4 in my IIA is very tired.Interesting comment about chucking rods - judging by the amount of performance stuff still available inc forced induction I wonder why more is not said about it.

The only weakness I have been told of is that they dont like continuous high revs and will break piston rings if subjected to it.This wont be a problem for me as its job is mostly off road doing firewood duties and towing disabled LR's on and off the ramp for repair.

The IIA my brother has in OZ is fitted with a 202,range rover diffs and a Fairy overdrive.I used it quite a bit a few weeks back and on the long open roads it cruised happily at about 65mph totally effortlessly,he has no problems with it.

I just wondered if anyone else in the UK had done it,as I want to fit twin SU carbs,(Maybe from a Triumph 2500.) and hoped someone else had tried it.

They seem to give better mileage than the landy motors, fit in easily and are cheap..... From memory you need to cut a notch out of the front cross member to clear the crank pulley, you can get a holden thermostat housing that points straight up making the plumbing easy. The only tricky bit is the clutch, if you use the holden pressure plate you need to turn down (shorten) the thrust bearing bush, and even then the clutch will be pretty much in or out. You could possibly re-drill the flywheel for a landy pressure plate or there may have been a Vauxhall one that fixes everything. The standard carb wasnt actually too bad off road. Now for the disclaimer, this is from memory of a friend doing the conversion in his one so it may not be completely accurate. Now I could tell you how to put a 250 crossflow ford engine in one......

Most of the Holden conversions in the last 20 odd years include a special flywheel that is drilled and tapped to accept the series clutch assemblies. The Stromberg carburators are not that flash on steep uphills. Bench tests on a tilt table show that around 15 degrees is about the limit before overfueling occurrs,so low speed crawling up steep hills is a little difficult.Restarting after a stall is not always reliable either. Aftermarket pistons on 202 sized engines are virtually a must have with standard LandRover gearing. The smaller capacity 186, 179,161 and 149 cu inch engines are more reliable and less susceptible to overheating in low range work in hot conditions.Starter motors never seem to last very long even when the adaptor plate is water/mud proofed. clutch plate material seems to contaminate the workings of the starter more than the inertia type on the 2 1/4 litre Rover engine. Standard engines have fibre camshaft drive gears and distributor drive gears which do fail and should be replaced with metal components. I've had many holden engines in my various landRovers over the years but I will take the utter dependability of the 2 1/4 litre Rover engine over the extra power of the Holden any day of the week.

Bill.

Thanks for that Bill,the carb bit does not suprise me which is why I want to go for twin SU's.I dont think the overheating will be a problem in the UK climate ! Most of work that this lR does is very local so mileage is very small in narrow lanes or in the woods - it should have an easy life compared to what it has done in OZ,with long open roads,power sapping sand etc. The engine and conversion kit have been given to me so all I hve to do is wait for container space to come free aswell.

I do agree about the 2 1/4 - not very powerful but very dependable,mine although tired still works well off road with Lumenition ignition and an SU carb - I dont like fixed jet carbs,and the SU transformed it.From idle you can literally stamp on the throttle and it just picks up - no stuttering or misfires at all,unlike just about all the others I've seen.