Wipac Crystal Headlamps

I wanted to improve my headlights on my 110 so after searching the forum it appeared that the wipac crystal units were a good choice.

Having spent my £30 for the pair I was surprised and a bit upset to find the lenses were plastic.

I got them from Paddocks

http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/DEFENDER/E...Australia).html

Can someone confirm that indeed the lenses are plastic or whether I have recieved the wrong ones.

Surely if they are plastic they will be scratched in no time at all. Is there a crystal glass alternative that I should have got?

I say thank you in preparation for all the helpful replies

Thank you

Ed

A lot of cars have plastic lenses these days.

I wouldnt neccesarily say its a bad thing as you dont generally go dragging your headlamps against things. The lenses on our A4 are plastic and have a kinda "road rash" effect on the lens, however the glass ones we took off werent really any different.

If they do get scratched you can always polish them with something like T-cut.

Polycarbonate won't polish up like perspex will with Brasso or Tcut, it does have it's own 'special stuff' though, that is like a cream, and sort of works, in a half hearted sort of way.

If you treat it like perspex it just gets worse.

I was talking to a man the other day when I noticed that his shoe-lace was undone, so I told him. He put the gritty sole of his 'loose shoe' up onto the Lovely polycarbonate, streamlined, headlight nacelle of his newish car and retied it. I said nothing, but felt empty, and alone.

Howard.

2X300TdiDef.

On the same tack,(excuse the pun) How do the Wipacs like having tape applied to them for Continental driving?

Being plastic instead of glass, do you have problems removing the stuff afterwards,& does it stick well?

Polycarbonate won't polish up like perspex will with Brasso or Tcut, it does have it's own 'special stuff' though, that is like a cream, and sort of works, in a half hearted sort of way.

If you treat it like perspex it just gets worse.

I was talking to a man the other day when I noticed that his shoe-lace was undone, so I told him. He put the gritty sole of his 'loose shoe' up onto the Lovely polycarbonate, streamlined, headlight nacelle of his newish car and retied it. I said nothing, but felt empty, and alone.

Howard.

2X300TdiDef.

AH didn't know that, thanks for the tip.

On the same tack,(excuse the pun) How do the Wipacs like having tape applied to them for Continental driving?

Being plastic instead of glass, do you have problems removing the stuff afterwards,& does it stick well?

Dunno, never bothered applying it :unsure:

Insulating tape sticks fine and comes off easily if the headlamps are warm.

HTH

Mo

I used gaffer tape. Having left it on for rather a long time it did seem to leave glue behind but it is not messy. Going abroad again next week, perhaps I will try insulating tape...

Chris