Wiring help!

OK, so I have a front winch, a rear winch and in cab controls for both along with isolators in the battery box.

Can anyone draw me up a loom for the "LT" side of the system - I can manage the fat winch wires, but the spaghetti is too much for me!!

The attachment might help........

Wiring_diagram.pdf

Charles,

Want a hand this weekend?

I think the PDF you posted makes it slightly more complicated than it needs to be... for instance the coil power requirement for the albright or the isolator is (from their datasheet) only 10-15W (around 0.8 to 1.25 amps), as your switch is rated to 16A it would be just introducing a further point of failure in the system, not to mention adding complexity.

So to simplify things a bit... here's a quick sketch, from first principles, comments welcome from any other parties!

post-4193-1241521759_thumb.jpg

This should give indicator lights either way when winching, but only when the isolator is energised.

Not 100% on the pinout of the switch, but I have done what I *think* is right, if it's not right a small amount of experimentation might be required ;)

HTH,

Bowie.

Want a hand this weekend?

Hmmmmm, desperately tries to look gift horse in the mouth........ and fails!!

Oh all right then, if you insist! :lol:

I think the PDF you posted makes it slightly more complicated than it needs to be... blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah........
:rtfm::rtfm::moglite::moglite:

Eeek! Electrickery speak! Help!!

So to simplify things a bit...

Phew!!

So what gauge wire do I need to get for the thin stuff? And what colours to satisfy the wiring police?

Hmmmmm, desperately tries to look gift horse in the mouth........ and fails!!

Oh all right then, if you insist! :lol:

Okey dokey, Sunday would be better for me, if that suits?

So what gauge wire do I need to get for the thin stuff? And what colours to satisfy the wiring police?

Well as it's fused to 15 amp, anything higher than that will do fine, think as standard there is 16.5A or 17Amp rated stuff available quite easily... as for colours, it depends if you want them to blend into the colour scheme of the rest of the car :rolleyes:;)

Where are you mounting the isolators/solenoids? It will make a difference to wiring lengths...

Red (quite a bit)

Black (quite a bit)

4 small lengths of differing colours

The small lengths are from the In/Out switch to the solenoid, you'll need to adjust how much wire is required dependant on placement, also as you have two, it's wise to have different colours for each hence the 4 above ;)

A small fuse box for mounting in the battery compartment would be a good idea, 4 or 6 way depending on how many other accessories you intend on bolting to it....

Some yellow crimp ring terminals would be handy to hook it up to the battery (make sure they are big enough to go over the bolts, often they aren't...)

Oh, and lots of fully insulated female spade connectors.

Thinks that's about it :)

Well here's my shopping list.

Have I missed anything? I have added some other bits too so I can have some "stock" for the enevitable jobs that will crop up.

I went for the "thinwall" cable as it is cheaper for the same current rating as "standard" cable (16.5A continuous).

Give me the nod and I'll press the go button. :)

post-121-1241528180_thumb.jpg

Ahhh merde. :angry: Ordered this afternoon.

Thanks Steve for spotting my cockup. I have emailed VWP to ask them to change the order. Typically one of the crimps is 35p + VAT more. I wonder if they will waive it on a £50 order........

Have you tried PoleVolt rather than VWP? I stopped ordering through VWP when I went to put a £350+ order in and the guy on the phone wasn't interested/couldn't be bothered to take the order. PoleVolt on the other hand is a guy in a shed setup, really friendly, and usually you can an/change the order until the early evening when the parcel man comes to collect. Prices are about the same, but the help and advice is much better.

Bowie69, what program did you use to draw the wiring schematic? I tend to use PSpice but it doesn't half take some effort, i wondered if there was an easier to use cheap/free solution?

Well, good news! VWP replied first thing this morning and have changed the order and will send out today. :D:D I presume that means they've waived the 35p as they haven't asked for my card details again....

Excellent news Bish (phew, had me worried for a mo there!)

Vanny, I used 'PCB123', there's two programs with it, one for Schematics, one for PCB layout, was actually trying it out for the first time when I drew that, for stuff like this is was quick to pick up and pretty fast to use IMHO. No idea on the PCB layout, but then I haven't done any building of PCBs for years now...

And the obligatory linkage: *CLICKY*

Cheers Bowie, will give it a go and see what happens. I haven't made an actual PCB for a good ten years, typically it seems quicker to just knock stuff up on vero board, but its rare these days that i make any circuits. Probably can' t do it at all anymore

Cheers Bowie, will give it a go and see what happens. I haven't made an actual PCB for a good ten years, typically it seems quicker to just knock stuff up on vero board, but its rare these days that i make any circuits. Probably can' t do it at all anymore

I use Multisim/Ultiboard as the software that my Uni supplied was rubbish. Multisim is awesome, once you have done the schematic, you transfer it to Ultiboard and it'll auto route the PCB for you... :D