Galv Chassis suppliers

I have decided to change the chassis on the 90.

So apart from Richards Chassis and Designa, are there any other chassis manufacturers/suppliers?

I had considered a second hand chassis, but as I am not willing to risk a Q-plate, I dont think it is an option.

I have decided to change the chassis on the 90.

So apart from Richards Chassis and Designa, are there any other chassis manufacturers/suppliers?

I had considered a second hand chassis, but as I am not willing to risk a Q-plate, I dont think it is an option.

There is also Marshland who also do chassis.

I have only had contact with Richards who were very helpful sourcing a chassis bracket from their stores that the other manufacturers were not prepared to supply.

John

keep going , don't give up ,looking good , it's ashame you already started , i would have advised trying to keep the body in one piece , there a poxy knightmare to line up after . i still have trouble with my passenger door .

keep going , don't give up ,looking good , it's ashame you already started , i would have advised trying to keep the body in one piece , there a poxy knightmare to line up after . i still have trouble with my passenger door .

I had not intended to change the chassis when I started. I was only planning to change the bulkhead and doors. However, I discovered a bit of rust on the chassis and I recon it is a "now or never" moment. I am going to lift the rear tub off and see just how bad the chassis is before making the final decision whether to change or not.

So I am doing my homework and fearing the worst! :(

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Good luck with your chassis swap, I started mine in mid october and its nearly finished! just a piece of advice... it makes life a lot easier if you get stocks of replacement bolts nuts & other fixings, then any stubborn bits can be ground off quickly, the chassis brackets and tub are mainly M8, M10 and M12. there are some wierd sizes in there aswell so I keep metre lengths of M8,10,12 coarse thread stainless studding, that way i can make a replacement bolt for length. just make sure that they are all at least 8.8 stamped, (more for things like recovery points etc..) finally go to your local chinese takeaway and eat sufficient food to provide lots of little boxes you can put screws etc in!

HTH

Mike

Guest diesel_jim

From past experience with chassis and the DVLA (and having a galvanised Q plate 90 myself) i'd say, go for it and don't even contemplate contacting the DVLA.

just change the chassis. that's it. nothing more. no need to contact them. it's only opening up a potential can of worms.

get the new/old galv'd chassis, stamp your new number in the RH chassis dumb iron (if you can be bothered) and that's it.

when i built my 90, i had it inspected 4 times by the DVLA and after chatting in depth to the inspector, he "advised" me (off the record mind you) that "necxt time you do this, you won't bother contacting us,will you".....

with an emphasis on "to save yourself this hassle in the future, and providing you're not trying to build a 2006 Td5 onto a 1969 pre-road tax log book or anything else like that, then just don't bother to involve us as no-one is ever going to know what you've done anyway" :ph34r::ph34r:

good advice, straight form the horses mouth.

Thanks for all the advice.

I have had a change of plan. I lifted the body off and to be honest, apart from the rear cross member the chassis is in decent condition. So a new crossmember is winging its way to me and hopefully I will start the fitting at the weekend.