Poor man's traction control

interesting, i would try it but my discos currently at olioffroadkings house after the weekend we had killing things :P

got through a clutch, a fuel system, coolant system and on Landyandys buggy his wheel nearly fell off :rolleyes:

mikey

Left foot braking does work and if you go to one of the land rover experience days it is a method they teach for non traction control vehicles.

Coincidentally it was a Land Rover Experience instructor visiting these parts that last tried to prove how well it worked ... I ended up using the winch.

Coincidentally it was a Land Rover Experience instructor visiting these parts that last tried to prove how well it worked ... I ended up using the winch.

This particular Land Rover Experience driver was Ed Cobley.

A bit O/T, but wouldn't it be nice to have the ability apply the brakes on all four wheels, like a handbrake, using the ABS- or a DIY system?

This would be really good when winching. Most of the times I recover other cars than my own I have to sit myself or someone else in the car to apply the brakes. It would also make a more reliable parking brake on those really steep slopes.

I have ABS/TC on my car and I'm really pleased with the function of it. Not like a diff locker of course, but it gives that little extra help so often needed.

A bit O/T, but wouldn't it be nice to have the ability apply the brakes on all four wheels, like a handbrake, using the ABS- or a DIY system?

This would be really good when winching. Most of the times I recover other cars than my own I have to sit myself or someone else in the car to apply the brakes. It would also make a more reliable parking brake on those really steep slopes.

I have ABS/TC on my car and I'm really pleased with the function of it. Not like a diff locker of course, but it gives that little extra help so often needed.

A Defender hand brake does work on both axles if you engage the center diff-lock, not as good as 'foot on the brake' because of the open axle diffs, but valuable.

I always do it now on slimy slipways launching boats, ever since I had the whole rig slide into the water with no one in the cab, and just the rear wheels locked, and me behind it!

Just got a wee bit wet.

cheers.

Howard.

Ps I now have it slide in with all four wheels locked.

:o - I'd no idea the handbrake wasn't actually braking all 4 wheels 'till you pointed it out! - so, when parking somewhere steep, if I engage difflock, I have 4-wheel brake? - but it wouldn't make a difference which ratio, would it?

A Defender hand brake does work on both axles if you engage the center diff-lock, not as good as 'foot on the brake' because of the open axle diffs, but valuable.

I always do it now on slimy slipways launching boats, ever since I had the whole rig slide into the water with no one in the cab, and just the rear wheels locked, and me behind it!

IIRC this is the reason that for example Suzukis are equipped with rear diff lockers in some countries (not Sweden though :angry:), since you might find the car rolling away if one of the rear tires is parked on a slippery spot, much like Howard mentioned.

:o - I'd no idea the handbrake wasn't actually braking all 4 wheels 'till you pointed it out! - so, when parking somewhere steep, if I engage difflock, I have 4-wheel brake? - but it wouldn't make a difference which ratio, would it?

Ratio won't make any difference since the parking brake is on rear outgoing axle.

This is not the problem I was chasing though. When winching, or standing in very steep slopes, the parking brake is not powerful enough IMHO.

Now I have no knowledge whatsoever of what signals the ABS valve gets, but having an engage button for all four wheels would be handy in some situations.

IIRC this is the reason that for example Suzukis are equipped with rear diff lockers in some countries (not Sweden though :angry:), since you might find the car rolling away if one of the rear tires is parked on a slippery spot, much like Howard mentioned.

Ratio won't make any difference since the parking brake is on rear outgoing axle.

This is not the problem I was chasing though. When winching, or standing in very steep slopes, the parking brake is not powerful enough IMHO.

Now I have no knowledge whatsoever of what signals the ABS valve gets, but having an engage button for all four wheels would be handy in some situations.

I live in a land of steep hills, and for me with my properly adjusted parking brake ( a bit more messing about than it seems), I am limited purely by the adhesion of the tyres.

For me, it's good.

Best regards.

Howard.

I live in a land of steep hills, and for me with my properly adjusted parking brake ( a bit more messing about than it seems), I am limited purely by the adhesion of the tyres.

For me, it's good.

Best regards.

Howard.

I am satisfied with mine as well. A friend of mine who has a Toyota Hilux was surprised that the car would stand still on only the parking brake. :P

It's mostly when winching. I wouldn't expect any parking brake to tackle 3-4 tonnes of pulling power.

I've never understood the logic in that - brakes apply equal force to both wheels thus the one with least resistance will still spin - borne out by the fact that while I have played with doing it once or twice out of curiosity while stuck and with time on my hands, I could never get it to make the slightest bit of difference in a practical situation.

The exception would of course be with ABS fitted in which case the wheel that was "locked" (the one with grip) would have the brakes released which should work. I managed to break the ABS in my old Discovery trying it though :lol:

I suspect that left foot braking may work better with drum brakes, because of the 'self servo' effect of the leading shoe in the spinning brake drum.

I also think that ABS may not work below 10 mph, or so, otherwise we could never stop by means of the brakes alone :o .

Just a few thoughts...

Howard.

No it wouldn't matter which ratio.