GPS

C18RCH

I want a GPS system for my 110 that I intend to use for expeditions eventually. Ideally I want one that I can remove from the car with a large ish display and that will do off road as well.

Any suggestions?

I thought about one of these but it is a little bit ott for just a GPS system.

http://www.panasonic.com/business/Toughboo...d-computers.asp

Anyone have any experience with them

I want a GPS system for my 110 that I intend to use for expeditions eventually. Ideally I want one that I can remove from the car with a large ish display and that will do off road as well.

Any suggestions?

I thought about one of these but it is a little bit ott for just a GPS system.

http://www.panasonic.com/business/Toughboo...d-computers.asp

Anyone have any experience with them

There are loads oif posts on here about this. I use a bluetooth GPS mouse, TC1100 tablet running GPSgate which lets me run Memory-Map (OS 25k) for off-road and PC Navigator (similar to TomTom) on-road. The tablet also has a keyboard for use as a normal laptop and has the RAVE manuals and LR parts catalogue on it. Also used for photograph backups etc etc

Regards

Richard

I run a Garmin Zumo 550 in my expedition vehicle, with full European street level mapping. I also run full Africa coverage with Tracks 4 Africa (T4A) and topographical mapping of Morocco.

I think it is an absolutely brilliant bit of kit that does everything you could ever need, without taking up a load of space with tablet PC's and laptops as some people use.

It can quite happily run as an everyday Sat Nav, but can step up to the mark in an expedition scenario.

They are not exactly cheap if you compare to some of the other Garmin stuff available from Halfords, but it is NOT the same kind of stuff you get from Halfords.

Look around on Amazon for the cheapest price. I think i paid £400ish, and dont regret a single penny.

They are designed for motorbike-ists, but come with all the necessary attachments in the box for vehicle use; are waterproof and shockproof too.

Nice!

HTH

Martin