Swindon Club

Hi

Second meeting was last night, bit disapointed there were only five from LR4x4, seven in total, did you forget because of the BankHoliday or stay in to watch the football.

The club had it on there big screen so you could have watched it there with cheap beer.

Anyway it was a good night pulled two tables together sat around and had a good chat, nice to meet some local new faces.

The club was empty apart from us, so no problem if more of you turn up next month, Hint Hint.

It's Tuesday June 2nd 7.30 ( we decided 7.00 was a bit early) plan is to have a chat meet new people then an evening run out.

John

Second meeting was last night, bit disapointed there were only five from LR4x4, seven in total, did you forget because of the BankHoliday or stay in to watch the football.

To be honest the Gas Club in Gorse Hill seemed deeply unappealing when we have a wealth of lovely country pubs in the area. On that basis I didn't turn up, and because there was such a determination to go there, I wasn't going to argue the toss.

For example, the Prince of Wales at Shrivenham is a few minutes drive out of town, does smashing grub, quality real ales - loads of parking in the high street and will reserve a long table for groups in the side bar.

You did ask... :huh:

Hi

I have been to the PoW, didn't think the food was that good but that's not the point here,

which is that from the initial responce on here & Difflock we could easily exceed 30 members

and most pubs could not cope with that number and have us sat in a group where we could all talk and hear each other.

I agree that the Gas Club is not the most sulubious of places but it can easily hold twice that and have us in one group.

Its not my decission here, as you know it was Dave's idea for a club I just introduced the thread to Difflock LR owners, then following the discussion at the first meet openned it up to anyone with an interest regardless of what they drive.

If someone wants to sugest a different venue I would suggest they come to the next meet and we can all vote on it, but please bear in mind that a venue need to be able to have 30+ people in one group its not just about a big car park.

John

Hi

I have been to the PoW, didn't think the food was that good but that's not the point here,

which is that from the initial responce on here & Difflock we could easily exceed 30 members

and most pubs could not cope with that number and have us sat in a group where we could all talk and hear each other.

I agree that the Gas Club is not the most sulubious of places but it can easily hold twice that and have us in one group.

Its not my decission here, as you know it was Dave's idea for a club I just introduced the thread to Difflock LR owners, then following the discussion at the first meet openned it up to anyone with an interest regardless of what they drive.

If someone wants to sugest a different venue I would suggest they come to the next meet and we can all vote on it, but please bear in mind that a venue need to be able to have 30+ people in one group its not just about a big car park.

John

I was dubious about the Gas Club also but made the effort to go along rather than not turn up just because I didn't like the sound of it. As a good friend once said to me about homosexual sex, you can't knock it until you've tried it. The Gas Club turned out to be much better than I expected with cheap beer, loads of space, no noise, centrally located and the whole of the Wickes car park available. It seems ideal for the club to meet at.

Although I originally suggested the idea of a Swindon club I don't want it to be known as Dave's club, just wanted to get the idea off the ground. It might be worth thinking about a name for the club. Name suggestions on a postcard please.

See you on June 2nd.

Regards,

Dave.

Hi

How about 'Swindon 4x4 club'

I supose a name with 'Ridgeway' or 'White Horse' in it might have more glamour sex appeal etc.

Are we going the T shirt club member card route?

Widget, have you ever been in the Gas club it might not be as bad as the name sounds.

I love the country pubs and when my wife and I go out Sat night its often to a nice coutry pub with Inglenook fireplace oak beams etc. We frequently go to the Woodman at Fernham or the Vale of the White horse but they couldn't cope with a large group that wants to sit together and talk.

Please come along and give it a go if you still don't like it then ....

John

• 2 weeks later...
I'll be revising for my first A level exam :(. But if you go out Laning, and happen to come out in the Stanford direction... any chance of a ride?

Good luck in the exam! I won't be laning tomorrow due to currently not having any steering :-(

Cheers,

Dave.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...