The End Of Lre Forums

Les Henson

Well it's finally happened as you all no doubt know. A pity and a shame at the same time from my point of view. A few of us have been there from the beginning and remember a whole heap of problems mostly instigated by Richard Green. We have to at least be grateful that we 'met' on there, and many forum meets, winch challenges, etc etc later, we have a community of sorts.

Fortunately we had the time to notify you all of the impending doom of LRE and with any luck you'll all get in here eventually. The restrictions placed on the forum by LRE are no longer a problem, so at some time in the future we'll have to decide what we want to do with regards to funding, stickers, t-shirts, possibly.

As for the reason the LRE website shut - well here's the story. The carp that you now read when you try to go in there is exactly that - carp.

As payment for being Mods/Admin, we get 'paid' a free subscription to the magazine, junk when the mag cleans the cupboards out, and variable Billing benefits. Last year we were given £15 for every day off of the price of the show, so it only cost Sue and I a fiver a day. This year MikeL said that we might be getting totally free tickets for the show, and as he has always managed to accomplish whatever he's said, we all made plans accordingly. The show got nearer and nearer, no tickets and a deafening silence from MikeL.

Then we got a letter from the magazine with a one day free pass! So that was it, MikeL said that he didn't understand why we had only the one day pass and he would sort it out for next year. Anyway, Drongo had booked the ferry etc and had gone to considerable expense and trouble to go to Billing on the understanding that it would be worth it due to the saving he would make on the tickets. The news was very annoying, so he sent an e-mail to Richard Green to complain (no foul language or anything like that, just a complaint).

That was it, poor Mr Green didn't like criticism, and ordered the forum to be shut, and here we finally are.

In my opinion, Drongo did us a favour, although he didn't know it at the time. If not him, it would eventually be someone else that upset the magazine. Too long have we had Mr Greens knife in out backs, ready to be twisted whenever he wanted. He's never kept it secret that he doesn't approve of the forums, and has several times tried to close it, or at least complain about it. It seems highly unlikely that we'll get the archive material now, your post counts are all lost, and historic threads have also gone.

Those that helped set this new forum up are:-

Geoff Beaumont for supplying the webspace free of charge, Bigfoot for all his hard work notifying members of the impending forum closure, and a lot of behind the scenes work, Tony Cordell for saving the Tech Archive, and other's, who's work will eventually come to light.

All the moderators from LRE are now moderators on here as well, and the same rules apply on here as on there. At present Geoff and Myself are Admin.

That's about it for now. If any of you have any suggestions to make regarding this website, then please feel free to post on this thread. There will obviously be changes, and they will almost always be approved by you lot first.

I'm sure I speak on behalf of everyone when I say that this website can, and with all your help, still be the best Land Rover website on the net. Technical information, immediate as it can be, is 90% of what we are about. Please enjoy the forums.

Les.

Bit of a sad story.....I want Clint Eastwood to play Les, Frank Spencer to play Richard Green, and Mother Theresa to play the girl who cleans out the cupboards...make my day, punk!!!!

You've got to admit to being impressed by the new, LRE recommended, Land Rover Chronicle website.....LEAD STORY......Disc Jockey at Range Rover Sport photoshoot......hey, let's get wized up guys, we're just not part of the hip scene......

We're better off over here....so how do we rope in the missing thousands? What we need is an accountant...........

Neil

Thanks Les;

Just as i said accountants shouldn't be allowed to have anything to do with Land Rovers :)

Seconded - in fact accountants should be prevented from having anything to do with just about anything except other accountants.

(I hope none of the forum members are of that persuasion :) )

A big thanks to Geoff, Les and the other Mods for all your efforts in getting this place set up.

QUOTE (landi41 @ Aug 20 2005, 09:14 AM)

Thanks Les;

Just as i said accountants shouldn't be allowed to have anything to do with Land Rovers 

Seconded - in fact accountants should be prevented from having anything to do with just about anything except other accountants.

(I hope none of the forum members are of that persuasion  )

Gee, thanks guys, and I thought there was a warm welcome to all on here :(:(

:lol:

Just as i said accountants shouldn't be allowed to have anything to do with Land Rovers 

Oi!! :angry:

That's it you lot. Outside! Now!! :angry:

Handbags at dawn :P

Maybe Aussie Accountants are an exception. :unsure:

Do we know any Aussie Accountants? ;)

Paul :lol:

Re:-"That would be double-entry book-keeping no doubt. "

Keep it clean please.

Anyone remember this advertising slogan?

"I used to be an accountant until I discovered Smirnoff"

It's from the 70's and upset loads of accountants.

They can be a touchy lot.

Thanks to our founders for this new forum, it appears that their arm is long and their vengeance is total!

John

"Re:-"That would be double-entry book-keeping no doubt. "

Anyone remember this advertising slogan?

"I used to be an accountant until I discovered Smirnoff"

It's from the 70's and upset loads of accountants.

They can be a touchy lot."

Quite a few of us 'accountants' really quite liked that advert - more than a few had it framed and hung on the wall.

I appreciate that Mr Green has been less than helpful, (there's some nice British understatement), but other than avoiding putting money in his pocket, please don't be mean to accountants in general, some of us want to be loved. I do not now, nor have I ever bought Land Rover Enthusiast. As a genuine newbie, I'd like to belong!

As for funding, can I suggest that the powers that be have a look at www.gomog.com and the emog mailing list. Some very attractive car badges have been made and sold to provde some cement for the international Morgan community, the key seems to be to have an active, inclusive community and a nice bit of graphic design.

Just (for some odd reason) hit the LRE Icon on my PC.....

The forums closed - but the words have changed, oh and theres an e-mail address for comments !

Done mine ! :D (and not a anglosaxon word in there), but they should get the drift that I am "Not too impressed with R Green" ;):D<_<:angry::ph34r:

NEXT

......they have asked havn't they, it would be rude not to oblidge... :D

Nige

lre forum: I would like to express my ideas here about the lre forum going down. I think this was allways a matter of time. The problem is that the forum did expres different ideas than the mag. The forum was slagging off advertisers, billing and the mag itself.

So there were 2 schools of thought under 1 banner. This is not acceptable in public, so one had to go. As the mag is making money and the forum is not, the forum went down.

We can call LRE what we like, but does anyone out there think the other LR mags are any better? I dont think so, and If I were in charge of LRE, I would have done the same thing. The only thing you could say is that they could have tried harder to end it on good terms with everybody.

I am subscribed to LRO, but only to stay informed about news, and because they are the biggest mag, the news will always appear first there. I am not impressed with their stories though.

I am glad there is an independent forum now, because if someone gets ripped of or has bad experience with a product, I still want to know. So I think well done to the moderators of this forum, and I suggest from now on to look forward and not back.

Chris W & I were talking last week about the forum and the fact that it is really kept alive by the gradual influx of new members. Some don't hang around - but the few that do, keep the forum alive.

Many of the new members will have found it on account of the mag - and without it, at first glance, the future is uncertain.

I think we need to persuade someone with a little more graphic design talent than myself to design banners of various sizes as adverts. Many of us have Land Rover related web sites and I think we (and I very definatly count myself in this) should host as many adverts for it as possible.

It might be worth referencing the fact that it used to be the LRE forum - just to help anyone left behind find us.

I reckon, between us, we will have a similar number of hits as LRE and should be able to attract a similar number of newcomers.

Your designs please!

Si

Chris W & I were talking last week about the forum and the fact that it is really kept alive by the gradual influx of new members. Some don't hang around - but the few that do, keep the forum alive.

Many of the new members will have found it on account of the mag - and without it, at first glance, the future is uncertain.

I think we need to persuade someone with a little more graphic design talent than myself to design banners of various sizes as adverts. Many of us have Land Rover related web sites and I think we (and I very definatly count myself in this) should host as many adverts for it as possible.

It might be worth referencing the fact that it used to be the LRE forum - just to help anyone left behind find us.

I reckon, between us, we will have a similar number of hits as LRE and should be able to attract a similar number of newcomers.

Your designs please!

Si

I'm not sure how many of the readers find it through the magazine, I didn't despite having had an LRE sub for about 2 years when I found the forum, I had never noticed the two or three lines on the page of rubbish about the mag staff (who reads that bit?) and at that stage it wasn't mentioned anywhere else (the Web Watch page is a new thing)

I found LRE through a Google search for 300Tdi tuning info, it came up with the thread in the tech archive as one of the returns and after reading that I had a look at the rest of the site.

I think "how did you first find the LRE forum" would be a good subject for a poll and I will do that in a minute in a separate post once I think of what needs to be included in the options.

You're right about some banner advertising though - looking at the Difflock ones you see in various places that is the sort of thing that is instantly recognisable.

How much would a full page ad cost

something along the lines of

for those who are morning the sad loss of the fomer LRe forum

fear not because it survives today as a website of fortune and if you can find it maybe

you can join the LRA with all the tech archive copied from LRe :D

well you know how google works, it ranks pages/sites according to the number of links to the page/site it finds generally on the web, so the way to improve ranking [without paying google for it] is to make this site as linkable as possible, plus remember to make links in posts on other sites. I think it's possible that links from this site to popular sites improve the ranking of this site too.