dashboard like a Christmas tree

WESTENDER

i went through some deep mud yesterday, washed the worst off when i got home swilling off my alloys as well, when i went out last evening as i turned off the drive the ABS kicked in as if the hill descent was activated, this happened again turning sharp out of my road then seemed to be fine, i tried it on full locks on a empty carpark seemed to be no problem.

This evening however when i started it up the TC light,the ABS light and the hill descent amber warning light are all lit, i am thinking / hopeing it could be an ABS sensor moved or disturbed by washing

Any input most welcome, the FL is a 2000 on a W with an L series

Hi

I don't know if this is the same fault / system as fitted to the TD4 but the fault is similar.

ABS sensors wear out. You may have one that (like mine) has suffered a piercing of its outer casing letting water and other road rubbish in. If its the same as mine you can disconnect the wiring by following it up from the wheel hubs at the rear and pulling apart the connector. Put a multimeter across the pins. You should get 1.5 to 1.85 Ohms on the meter. No resistance = new sensor!

Repeat for each sensor - the front ones connect in the engine bay.

Brake light switch can also give same fault.

I hope this helps.....

Hi

I don't know if this is the same fault / system as fitted to the TD4 but the fault is similar.

ABS sensors wear out. You may have one that (like mine) has suffered a piercing of its outer casing letting water and other road rubbish in. If its the same as mine you can disconnect the wiring by following it up from the wheel hubs at the rear and pulling apart the connector. Put a multimeter across the pins. You should get 1.5 to 1.85 Ohms on the meter. No resistance = new sensor!

Repeat for each sensor - the front ones connect in the engine bay.

Brake light switch can also give same fault.

I hope this helps.....

rustymark

yes thanks, got her up on ramps straight from work ,nothing obvious like a loose sensor or wire pulled off so i will try this tomorrow evening thanks again

If you find a bad one the rears are a right pain to remove as they may only be push fit but they are very tight. I ended up disconnecting suspension trailing arms and removing rear driveshaft at hub end so could knock the sensor out 'backwards'. Bit long winded but easier than attackiing with a drill, screwdriver, vice grips, bad temper and anything else.

If its this message me and i'll see if i can help. Oh and a new sensor....about £95 on ebay .....£200 plus from main deealer