Td5 horn wont turn off

DaveR

2001 Discovery Td5.

I was woken this evening - along with most of my neighbours - when the horn on my Disco spontaneously started to sound. Disarming and rearming the alarm had no effect. The horn was sounding continuously. Eventually, the only way to silence it was to disconnect the battery earth lead.

Any ideas what would have caused this and how to fix it in the morning????

Dave

2001 Discovery Td5.

I was woken this evening - along with most of my neighbours - when the horn on my Disco spontaneously started to sound. Disarming and rearming the alarm had no effect. The horn was sounding continuously. Eventually, the only way to silence it was to disconnect the battery earth lead.

Any ideas what would have caused this and how to fix it in the morning????

Dave

For the horn to sound it must be getting its power from somewhere. Locate where the horn actually is (somewhere behind the front grill I'd guess) and disconnect it before reconnecting the battery for yours and your neighbours sanity!

Firstly I would check the steering wheel switches they do have a bit of a habbit of playing up and its the easiest bit to get at.

If no joy there, I would check the wiring from the horn to see if there is any damage/shorting.

From memory although could be wrong on this, the alarm is a seperate sounder from the horn although the horn sounds for incorrect lock procedure.

Mark.

When you say the horn do you mean the vehicle horn (beep beep) or the BBUS siren (banshee wailing) as the possible causes are quite different.

It was the horn (Beep beep) except it didn't go beep beep it went beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep for about 10 mins until I could disconnect the battery.

For the horn to sound it must be getting its power from somewhere. Locate where the horn actually is (somewhere behind the front grill I'd guess) and disconnect it before reconnecting the battery for yours and your neighbours sanity!

Firstly I would check the steering wheel switches they do have a bit of a habbit of playing up and its the easiest bit to get at.

If no joy there, I would check the wiring from the horn to see if there is any damage/shorting.

From memory although could be wrong on this, the alarm is a seperate sounder from the horn although the horn sounds for incorrect lock procedure.

Mark.

Thanks Mark,

I'll check those pesky steering wheel switches this morning. They do seem less than rock solid so hope (fingers crossed) they are the problem. The other thought that occurred to me was a faulty horn relay. Now to work out which relay of several dozen it is...

Thanks Mark,

I'll check those pesky steering wheel switches this morning. They do seem less than rock solid so hope (fingers crossed) they are the problem. The other thought that occurred to me was a faulty horn relay. Now to work out which relay of several dozen it is...

Stop press!

Son had been clambering about the car ysterday and beeped the horn a few times. One of the steering wheels was sitting squint. i guess when the car cooled down in the night, contact was then made and the horn went beeeeeeeeeeeeep.

Moral of story - don't let enthusiastic 3yr old boys loose in the car.

Thanks for your suggestions guys.

Dave

• 10 years later...