Engine to gearbox mating

Hi - I really need some help!!!

I'm prepping my 110sw for a long overland trip, and have been focusing on the engine and transmission this week.

I am in the middle of fitting a re-engineered 300tdi engine from Turner Engineering, mated to a brand new R380 box and LT 230 tranfer box from Ashcroft.

I've done this job several times on other vehicles, and apart from the occassional struggle, the engine and box have always mated pretty easilly.

Six attempts yesterday, and I can't get the engine to go the last inch. I'm pretty sure they are in line, and the clutch plate is centralised (checked and adjusted it 4 times) and I've wiggled and pushed and sworn (a lot!).

It's as if the spigot on the end of the input shaft is not going into the bush in the end of the crankshaft.

Has anyone ever found these to be incompatibly sized? Or maybe there is another 'trick' I don't know about!

Either way - can anyone help me - I'm beginning to offend the neighbours!

Take the clutch off and see if they will go together without it?

it does sound like the clutch plate isnt aligned correctly, but removing it and seeing if they'll mate together will rule out the spigot bearing etc.

Also tell the neighbours to ram it. What you do on your landrover is your business, not theirs.