What size wheels ?

zim

Evening,

I'm busy deciding what size tyres to run. I've been to a few howlin wolf events now and seen that you guys use from 35" - 38.5" generally.

What would you suggest for a v8 90 ? I'll probably go up to a 100" wheel base next year, but my current one is shorter.

I like the look of the 38.5" boggers, but what width is preferred the 11" or 15" ?? And what size rim 15 or 16 ?? Or are these top secret bits of information ?

I'm not asking for all your trade secrets just a bit of a guidline so that i don't make an expensive mistake :lol:

Cheers

Gordon

Been running 38.5x15x15(they measure 37) on double beadlock wheels 5psi rear 3psi front

Are you on 10" wide rims ?

cheers

G

(the one who you commented about not wearing shoes on sunday ;) )

I would say that most people in the UK are running 35" to 37" due to the cost of imported tyres in larger sizes, not the practicallity. Width wise a narrower tyre will cut into the ground more, with the hope of hitting something solid, a wider tyre will aim to float on top of the soft stuff. Generally heavier trucks go better on wider tyres.

I find the rule is buy the biggest tyres that....

1. fit,

2. you can gear the truck to use,

3. that your steering will turn,

4. that your engine will turn (despite gearing rotating mass of larger tyres can be an issue for small engines)

5. that you can afford!

Alternatively, build a truck to do all of the above for huge tyres, like Adrian...

I'm running 37x12.5x16 on 9 inch wide single beadlocks, my brother-in-law is running 44x12x20 on 9 inch wide single beadlocks and portal axles.