Vibration 50 - 60 mph

Hello,

Have developed vibration around 50 - 60 mph. Seemed worse at the fron, checked the front propshaft and there is quite a bit of play - I take it this means the UJ's have had it?

There is also an oil seep from the fwd axle there, should I be worried.

If it is the UJ's I understand there are quite a difference in quality? Do I need special tools?

Any help is appreciated - thankyou.

Lemforder (spelling?) are a good make to buy. No special tool needed, although 9/16 spanner is required for bolts/nuts. There is a propshaft tool that makes it easier to get a socket on to the bolts, but it can be done without it.

Oil leak is probably diff pinion seal. It can be caused by the vibrations from the propshaft and may go away once the UJ's are changed. If not it's fairly simple to replace.

Steve

as Steve says above probably the UJ, GKN Hardy Spicers UJ for around a tenner or so tend to work well in my experience.

the UJ may have caused the diff nose seal to have gone, its worth changing it when the prop is off - getting the input shaft nut off can be 'fun' without air tools as you need to brace the vehicle to stop it moving as you undo the nut as it rocks on the gears.

a ground down ring on a 14mm spanner or the prop shaft tool are worth having/doing.

Hello,

Have developed vibration around 50 - 60 mph. Seemed worse at the fron, checked the front propshaft and there is quite a bit of play - I take it this means the UJ's have had it?

There is also an oil seep from the fwd axle there, should I be worried.

If it is the UJ's I understand there are quite a difference in quality? Do I need special tools?

Any help is appreciated - thankyou.

Right, have changed the fwd UJs now and this has made no difference at all (the old ones looked in quite good nick). Should I do the rear ones now (from the outside they look quite rusty). The vibration seems through out. Please help....

Right, have changed the fwd UJs now and this has made no difference at all (the old ones looked in quite good nick). Should I do the rear ones now (from the outside they look quite rusty). The vibration seems through out. Please help....

I have found a virtually seized UJ on the drive to the rear axle - so hope that will be the cause, and will change it when the spare arrives.

However, as I was taking the rear propshaft out, the slider accidently disconnected from the propshaft - I think I put it back the original way.

What if I haven't? I noticed one of the female splines has purposely been removed - why is that?

Any advice is appreciated...