Clutch problem

With the gearbox on, the fork has no resistance and the slave pushrod can move backwards and forwards easily which is obviously not right. Thought I might be suffering from a bent clutch fork, but after taking the gearbox off (only enough to check the fork) everything seems fine.

At a bit of a loss and think I might be overlooking the obvious. Anybody got any ideas? :(

Fork not on the thrust bearing/off the pivot ball. Have you just had the gearbox or engine off or has the clutch suddenly failed?

Les.

I hadn't had the box off, the clutch bite was just gradually disappearing in to the floor so I suspected a cracked fork. Fork seems fine, but I guess the bearing could have slipped off the fork previously and on refitting the box?

is anyone able to say how much free play the slave rod should have? because mine is moving back and forth i guess nearly 3 inches and disappearing almost into the housing before it contacts with anything which sounds like the fork hitting the back of the housing.

If the fork is hitting the back of the recess in the bellhousing, then the problem is within the bellhousing. The only way you can acess anything in there is engine out or gearbox back.

Les.

mm just did that and it all looked alright. suspecting the bearing may not be sitting on the fork properly or something.. guess it's coming off again!

thanks for the input guys :)

how much can you see with the box slightly off i would have thought that if its not pushed threw on the usual bit of fork that either the tabs on the pressure plate have worn threw if neither of them i'd of still thought that as les says its hydraulic usually slave

dave

With the gearbox on, the fork has no resistance and the slave pushrod can move backwards and forwards easily which is obviously not right. Thought I might be suffering from a bent clutch fork, but after taking the gearbox off (only enough to check the fork) everything seems fine.

At a bit of a loss and think I might be overlooking the obvious. Anybody got any ideas? :(

Hi this might help i found that i had a similar problem with my range rover excuse my poor termanology but here goes

I found that there is bar that fits on the end of the slave push rod had worn down over the years when i repalced it with a new one i found that it was about a third longer than the worn one and this fixed the problem.

regards Antony110