200tdi Timing Belt Change

Hi Guys,

I thought a timing belt change would be relatively simple affair!!

I changed my timing belt on my 200tdi Discovery engine but now seems to run hot and vibrates more.

I followed the land rover manual as follows;

Put crank to TDC. Lock injection pump with drill bit. Remove belt, fit new one.

I replaced tensioner, idler and belt.

When i fitted new belt the injection pump gear was slightly out. So as suggested by the manual to move the three bolts and line all up again.

I thought it best to get everything timed up so released bolts and inserted drill bit and locked it up.

Now isnt a happy engine! Most people i speak to say they would just fit a new belt and go.

I did try retard the timing of the pump and engine seemed to run smoother and cooler but how do i know if it is the correct timing?

I then timed up as land rover suggested and now back to square one.

I thought I saw a thread on here about something similar but cant seem to find it. The thing is if i had broken the belt i would have timed it up using LRs method.

Any ideas guys. This is just another problem that i have encountered whilst trying to change the belt. Maybe should have just driven it til it broke.

I am at wits end.

Cheers.

Have a look through this thread - is that how you did it?

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=14285

Les.

Hi Les,

I had a look through your thread before carrying out the change. This is pretty much how i did it, just that i had a disco 200tdi. I definitely remember fitting lining up the crank and injection pump but dont remember if there was an arrow on the backplate to line up the camshaft. I have attatched a pic prior to belt change. (white dots were already there). Not as good a photo as i hoped.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

post-3419-1242419254_thumb.jpg