slapping - wistling noise

Gents

The truck has not been used too much recently, short journeys only. Anyhow, this week have done a 400mile round trip.

have got a noise which i think can best be descibed by:

1: noise sounds like a wistling/ blowing or possibly a fan clipping something as it rotates

2: increases in volume + reguarity by depressing the accerlator / speed of engine. first 10-15 degrees of accerlator pedal movement - doesn't result in any noise

3: does not occur at tickover or with no load on the engine. - so only with load on the engine. as soon as the clutch is depressed it goes stops.

4: appears to come from the passenger side of the engine bay.

5: have seen no loss of power.

to date have checked the following:

pulleys - seem ok no rattle or wobble.

viscous fan - no chips on the blade, or contact hwen rotating.

head gasket appears ok.

Do you think this could be a turbo related problem? -

have removed the inlet and the impeller rotates fine - bit oily on the inlet though - is this normal?

Have briefly checked for leaks on the pipes - nothing obvious - is any leak usually very noticable?

what other checks should i be doing on the turbo?

many thanks in advance

when the intercooler pipes were leaking on mine, the whistling built up to a level and then kinda stayed constant.

i assumed this was due to boost pressure reaching its max. i didnt notice any drop in power either.

the problem with tracking down the leaking pipe is it may only leak when under pressure! it took me a few weeks to trace mine.

I'm with 'Santalars' - Exhaust leak somewhere. I had a noise just like this and there was a phit phit phit leak at one of the branch points. (Not a hole as such). Could see from the soot build up on outside where escaps was between two pipes. Get someone to do the throttle and get under running hand near to trace pipe from front to back of whole system and all around pipes. You'll feel it before you see it. Do it when cold as you only have a few minutes otherwise it'll get to hot and you will get burnt!! :o

have got a noise which i think can best be descibed by:

1: noise sounds like a wistling/ blowing or possibly a fan clipping something as it rotates

2: increases in volume + reguarity by depressing the accerlator / speed of engine. first 10-15 degrees of accerlator pedal movement - doesn't result in any noise

3: does not occur at tickover or with no load on the engine. - so only with load on the engine. as soon as the clutch is depressed it goes stops.

4: appears to come from the passenger side of the engine bay.

5: have seen no loss of power.

although mines a td5 i had a similar problem..

the fan seemed like it was clipping something as it was rotating..and the clicking got worse the faster i travelled and the harder the fan worked, at tickover was very slight..and there was no loss of power...this eventually got worse and was very annoying :angry:

it turned out the viscous fan unit had gone, there was loads of play in the unit and you could literally see it snaking as it rotated and i figure it was striking the aux belt as it span....a new viscous fan and the problem was solved and has been fine ever since :D

if there is any play in the unit at all i would consider a new fan unit...hope this helps...ben

You can take the fan off and briefly run the engine without it, that'll ensure it isn't the fan...

I'd be inclined to agree with the others, take a close look at your exhaust manifld gasket for sooty marks that might indicate a leak...

cheers for all the comments gents

Been away from the PC so have only just read the replies,

In reply to engine or transmission, it happens in all gears, so i think its certainly engine.

Ill check the exhaust, turbo inlet and intercooler tomorrow and no doubt come back for some more wisdom

cheers again