Freelander Overland??

Matt S

Hi,

Been idly wondering, now that it's getting a bit more summery, has anyone been on a decent overland trip in a Freelander? I'm guessing yes, but where? I only ask because someone asked me if mine could go offroad (!!) and I said yes, you could probably take it round the world... But can you???

Just a thought...

Hi,

Been idly wondering, now that it's getting a bit more summery, has anyone been on a decent overland trip in a Freelander? I'm guessing yes, but where? I only ask because someone asked me if mine could go offroad (!!) and I said yes, you could probably take it round the world... But can you???

Just a thought...

Here's one I took a picture of in Botswana. They had just been through Magadikgadi Pans and Central Kalahari, as well as Namibia :o They were off to Zimbabwe to see Victoria Falls and then into Zambia. So I wouldn't actually dispute your assertion :)

IMG_3430.jpg

This is sort of what I'm planning with my Freelander and I know they aren't the ideal vehicle but in some ways its more interesting to use a vehicle that not everyone has used before. It has its own challenges though (mine is a 3-door 1.8 petrol) so its not the ideal base model for an expedition truck.

That said its reliable (gulp), economical, sound for light off-roading and has lots of storage space, its also cheap and pretty easy to fix.

I have made some modifications already (roofrack, lights, storage, electrical hookups etc) and I intend to carry on and see how it goes.

Stoo

B)

Here's one I took a picture of in Botswana. They had just been through Magadikgadi Pans and Central Kalahari, as well as Namibia

indeed. SWAMBO once packed her friends and a tent in her Freelander and went road-tripping all over Botswana, and crossed the Magadikgadi Pans without any issues. They only got stuck once because throughout the trip she didn't let down her tyres since leaving Joburg :o

In 2007 I drove mine 5,800 miles in 3 weeks. From halifax to Marakesh.

We did 10 days on Morocco. Pictures and video all at www.neilanderson.org.uk

I still have the car, and it is none the worse of the trip, expect for fine red sand leaking out fo the shut lines everytime I wash it!

A lift kit and underbody protection make it a more relaxing experience.