90 Rear Drum brakes binding

HI All,

This is my first post so here goes.

I recently bought a new set of rear shoes for my 90 as they were pretty well shot. On fitting the new set though, everything was fine untill fitting the rear wheels back on when they locked solid. I drove it around and inevitably the shoes wore down enough to work again, but it was not ideal as you can imagine. A friend suggested that the drums may be warped or oval, so today I renewed the shoes and drums together. (checking Les' tech forum to make sure the springs were correctly fitted). All was fine untill the wheels were torqued up then once again they were binding, but not fully locked this time........still very stiff though. the snail cams are fully wound off and I couldnt see anything obvious.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Dave.

HI All,

This is my first post so here goes.

I recently bought a new set of rear shoes for my 90 as they were pretty well shot. On fitting the new set though, everything was fine untill fitting the rear wheels back on when they locked solid. I drove it around and inevitably the shoes wore down enough to work again, but it was not ideal as you can imagine. A friend suggested that the drums may be warped or oval, so today I renewed the shoes and drums together. (checking Les' tech forum to make sure the springs were correctly fitted). All was fine untill the wheels were torqued up then once again they were binding, but not fully locked this time........still very stiff though. the snail cams are fully wound off and I couldnt see anything obvious.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Dave.

Recently I bought new drums and shoes for the rear of my 90".

The shoes were too large to the point that the new drums could not be fitted at all.

In the end I ordered another set of shoes from another manufactor. They fit - barely. After a few short trips with partly binding shoes this second pair was worn down enough to fit without binding.

The completely non fitting set was TRW brand, those that barely fit were Mintex brand. The drums were Allmakes brand.

I plan on buying genuine parts from now on as much as possible.

Recently I bought new drums and shoes for the rear of my 90".

The shoes were too large to the point that the new drums could not be fitted at all.

In the end I ordered another set of shoes from another manufactor. They fit - barely. After a few short trips with partly binding shoes this second pair was worn down enough to fit without binding.

The completely non fitting set was TRW brand, those that barely fit were Mintex brand. The drums were Allmakes brand.

I plan on buying genuine parts from now on as much as possible.

Mine were "Paddocks", To be honest I have driven it around again today and I think the shoes have err.........worn in! lol. Just the winch to strip and re-build, two new rear shocks, bumpstops (it has none at present), and the steering damper to go before the next Tixover event in a fortnight. Anyone got a disc rear axle to fit a 90 for sale? (10 spline)

Thanks for the comments guy's.

I think a rear axle conversion is in order though to erradicate the problem once and for all.