V6 diesel

smokeyone

If anyone is familiar with the new generation of V6 diesels -

would you know if they can be de -ecu'd - could they be

re-done so as to run without a box of tricks.

I'd like to drop one into a classic maybe mated to a R380 gearbox -

If anyone is familiar with the new generation of V6 diesels -

would you know if they can be de -ecu'd - could they be

re-done so as to run without a box of tricks.

I'd like to drop one into a classic maybe mated to a R380 gearbox -

Unless you fit some kind of mechanical injection system these diesels will always need a box of tricks of some kind.

Unless you fit some kind of mechanical injection system these diesels will always need a box of tricks of some kind.

Couldn't you noble a mechanical fuel pump and injectors off a 200 tdi for instance or is the idea

not workable...

Couldn't you noble a mechanical fuel pump and injectors off a 200 tdi for instance or is the idea

not workable...

Well I suppose anything is possible...

You would need to work out how to get a 4 cylinder injector pump to feed 6 cylinders with the right amount of fuel at precisely the right time. I pondered over the same thing but using megasquirt to control the injectors. The info I found suggested that MS was not precise enough to run a diesel.

Well I suppose anything is possible...

You would need to work out how to get a 4 cylinder injector pump to feed 6 cylinders with the right amount of fuel at precisely the right time. I pondered over the same thing but using megasquirt to control the injectors. The info I found suggested that MS was not precise enough to run a diesel.

A pity about megasquirt but another possibility for the fuel pump could be one from a Cummins/Perkins six cyclinder -

I suspect it would cost more to get a V6 running with a mechanical pump that it would to buy a new Range Rover.

You could be right - in which case it is a no-no but mechanical pump, fuel injectors, piping - have I missed something-

wouldn't you end up with a smooth running simple v6 diesel. A friend has since told me that he thinks a volvo V6 diesel fuel pump

is a possibility as its just hung on brackets on the side - but he's not sure and isn't Volvo owned by Ford who owned Land rover !!

Like most things there usually is a way,have a look at www.simtekuk.co.uk Look at the Nira Diesel engine ECU's they do. This is about the only way I can think that you could do it properly,even then cost would be a major consideration.

Like most things there usually is a way,have a look at www.simtekuk.co.uk Look at the Nira Diesel engine ECU's they do. This is about the only way I can think that you could do it properly,even then cost would be a major consideration.

Thanks for the link - so still stuck with electronics of some sort although have gotten away from LR electronics which must be good..

I think its probably the only practical way to do it,otherwise there would be serious problems in getting the original engine ecu to mobilise without CAN signals from the body computer.Then if you did get it to start there would be allsorts of problems in getting the engine to run properly as I would think it would want to run in limp home mode - restricted output because it would have no autobox/gear position or vehicle dynamics ecu feeds.

Be an interesting project.

I think its probably the only practical way to do it,otherwise there would be serious problems in getting the original engine ecu to mobilise without CAN signals from the body computer.Then if you did get it to start there would be allsorts of problems in getting the engine to run properly as I would think it would want to run in limp home mode - restricted output because it would have no autobox/gear position or vehicle dynamics ecu feeds.

Be an interesting project.

I am going to look into it - but what I was hoping for was an idea involving virtually no electronics at all but that appears to be out.

Seriously, you need to get over the idea that electronics are bad and realise that they're the only thing that makes a modern engine that much better than an old mechanically fuelled one. If you want an engine that's happy with no electronics, buy one that was designed to run with no electronics. It'll be far easier and cheaper in the long run.

The problem with electronics is only due to the manufacturers wanting to protect the millions of pounds they spent developing it, and the security of their vehicles, by not releasing intimate details of the workings of the unit and by tying its operation to things like the alarm & immobiliser.

Seriously, you need to get over the idea that electronics are bad and realise that they're the only thing that makes a modern engine that much better than an old mechanically fuelled one. If you want an engine that's happy with no electronics, buy one that was designed to run with no electronics. It'll be far easier and cheaper in the long run.

The problem with electronics is only due to the manufacturers wanting to protect the millions of pounds they spent developing it, and the security of their vehicles, by not releasing intimate details of the workings of the unit and by tying its operation to things like the alarm & immobiliser.

Totally agree,esp when you look at what efi did for engines like Rover V8's and the old OHC Vauxhall engine - transformed them. The problems now with engines all seem to be poor wiring/connectors and sensors - but not often the ecu's.Then on the V6 in D3's and RRS's you get lots of EGR faults causing smoking and poor performance.When you look at the stupid EGR valves they are fitted with its not hard to see why they fail,it was bad enough with the old diaphram ones,but these have a motor in them and a rotary pot to give closed loop feedback.