What transfer box?

I have been offered a 1:2 transfer box.

I am about to have the clutch done in my Td5 at last, but I am contemplating fitting the 1:2 transfer box at the same time, but I am not sure what is fitted at the moment, Would a 1:4 ratio box be the norm? How do I check, is there a serial number on the box somewhere?

What advantage would fiting this box give me? I presume that it would give me better fuel economy at speed and lower engine revs, if I tow anything I like to use the D3.

Thanks in advance

Graham.

The 1.2 is normally a disco ratio which some fit to defenders

There should be a sticker on the back of your transfer box near the filler plug telling you the ratio.

As for whether is is a good idea opinion is divided

Guest noggy

its a good idea, if you do a lot of motorway miles, other than that... not much difference. search the forums, its been discussed in detail before.

its a good idea, if you do a lot of motorway miles, other than that... not much difference. search the forums, its been discussed in detail before.

Well I like my 110 with the 1.222 transfer box not so good for towing though :rolleyes: