Jump to content

leaking defender?


Recommended Posts

Hi all, had my 90 resrayed last year and since then ive had a leak everytime it rains in the drivers footwell. I had the windscreen rubber replaced at the same time, at first I thought it might be the vent seals so I changed them but to no avail. I dont know if its the windscreen rubber to blame ,can water get through them? ,has anyone had a similar problem?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi all, had my 90 resrayed last year and since then ive had a leak everytime it rains in the drivers footwell. I had the windscreen rubber replaced at the same time, at first I thought it might be the vent seals so I changed them but to no avail. I dont know if its the windscreen rubber to blame ,can water get through them? ,has anyone had a similar problem?

Hi Del...

If its any comfort mine leaks a little every time from the o/s...I am not sure if this will solve your problem..no harm in trying..You can try fixing the problem using the LR provided "Water Ingress Manual".

Cheers

Adi

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi all, had my 90 resrayed last year and since then ive had a leak everytime it rains in the drivers footwell. I had the windscreen rubber replaced at the same time, at first I thought it might be the vent seals so I changed them but to no avail. I dont know if its the windscreen rubber to blame ,can water get through them? ,has anyone had a similar problem?

Mine leaks too, it comes through the seal below the windscreen/bulkhead on mine. Console yourself, its a landrover, they seem to leak inwardly and outwardly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mine leaks too, it comes through the seal below the windscreen/bulkhead on mine. Console yourself, its a landrover, they seem to leak inwardly and outwardly.

Would you believe mine doesn't leak? :P

The biggest leak was from the lower corners of the hardtop to windscreen seals. One is a big rubber jobby and the other is a foam strip. The water was getting in under the foam one and then round the end of the rubber one. A roll of nice thick closed cell sealing strip from CPC in Preston and a new rubber seal bonded on (see below) fixed that one.

Next was the vent flaps, which didn't compress the seal at the top even when shut. Remove them, ease the hinge away from the flap slightly and put them back on.

Next was the joint half way back along the roof, where the panels overlap. Step one - after a week of hot weather, apply Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure until it stops disappearing. Then apply copious amounts of Frosts' Seam Sealant to every seam, inside and out, including inside the gutters and round the rear hardtop vents. (both products from Frosts Automotive Restoration). Have to re-paint the roof soon...

Paranoia (and a suggestion on AN Other discussion group) suggested filling the longitudinal ridges on the roof (if you have them) with builder's foam through holes drilled upwards from underneath. I've done this, but can't tell if it's made any difference or not.

Lastly was the ill-fitting roof to rear sides seal, which are ridiculously expensive. I eased the joint apart after undoing the 65000 bolts and added a run of self-amalgamating tape, then did it up again.

Bingo. Dry. Still dry. :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience. By using our website you agree to our Cookie Policy