propshafts

I treid treplacing the UJ's on the front prop shaft yesterday, one end went fine and to plan, half of the other end was great but the final push of the final cap seem to get into problems and after much huffing puffing and swearing I think I managed to wreck the new UJ. So I am now driving around with the diff lock with only the rear wheels being driven. I plan on driving 70 miles up to the LR supplier to get him to finish putting the UJ on the shaft, then refit the shaft at his place and drive home. Will this be a problem for the transfer case?

It's a pity I can't get that service here! :D

I should probably add that when I picked up the UJ's I had one flange and the guy fitted a UJ to it. Scince then I have been kicking myself for not paying him a few $ to do the whole shaft, which is what I plan to do. I do have access to a press but it involves going a few miles setting it up finding out you left the xyz tool back at your house etc etc.

Guest noggy

you should be fine driving in difflock, just take car and dont let your clutch up to sharply.

mechanical sympathy will need to be used!

(altho saying that i used to take off my front prop so i could do donuts in the snow :ph34r: )

You don't need a press, I did mine with a one ton vice. The interference fit is not that strong. A gentle tap with a hammer would get it in. The main problem is making sure the needles don't come out or it wont to on straight.

You don't need a press, I did mine with a one ton vice. The interference fit is not that strong. A gentle tap with a hammer would get it in. The main problem is making sure the needles don't come out or it wont to on straight.

A hammer should play no part in the fitting of a UJ. If everything is straight it should squeeze in with a few twists of the vice :rolleyes:

you'll be fine running difflock permenantly in that scenario as there is nothing that will cause any damage to the diff.

You'll be putting more load on the rear axle, but as long as you drive smoothly i dont think this will be an issue.

Yes :angry:

We have a saying here: "Haste makes waste" and this definitely applies in this case. It was all going so well that I got careless and the cap became cocked in the fitting causing the needles to fall out and the rest is history. I have to go to the supplier for the UJ's so I figure take the prop up and be done witht he job in 10 minutes.

Thanks for the help, I figured it was OK but I just wanted to make sure.