New Tool

santalars

I have finally tested my new tool.

It's basically a mini wireless camera connected to a laptop in order to capture the video.

The camera runs on a 9V battery, so no cables.

I have taped the camera to a magnet (from a hard disk drive) so that i can put it almost everywhere.

It's giving you the possibility to inspect all kind of things while driving.

post-12328-1242592793_thumb.jpg

post-12328-1242592804_thumb.jpg

As first check I've investigated my axles as I wondered about some play in the steering at higher speeds. The outcome was that the axle is shifting in relation to the chassis. Panhard rod bushes are new and the remaining movement seems to be normal. Therefore it seems to be a landrover thing and I'm not concerned anymore.

See Video here:

Next will be check for play in prop-shafts.

I got everything from E-b**. It was £35 for the camera and the rceiver and £15 for the usb connector and capture device (inc software).

So I think it's not too much for such a versatile device.

The only odd thing is that my hard drive stopped working. :wacko:

..probably a magnet missing :P

Cool, out of interest what kind of range do you get on the video? Looking to buy one of these to monitor the car when I park at work, grand plan is to auto-process the images and look for the traffic warden coming around.

Cool, out of interest what kind of range do you get on the video? Looking to buy one of these to monitor the car when I park at work, grand plan is to auto-process the images and look for the traffic warden coming around.

It'll be around 100m, but in a line of sight without obstructions and about 10m with a wall in between. Probably not good enough for your purpose. There are options, but getting expensive then.

that would be very interesting to see how much the axles on my series sway side to side, i'm sure my parabolics dont locate the springs as good as the standard leafs do.

also be nice to see how much tramp i get when i floor it :D

that would be very interesting to see how much the axles on my series sway side to side, i'm sure my parabolics dont locate the springs as good as the standard leafs do.

also be nice to see how much tramp i get when i floor it :D

Normally when you foor it most of your diff attempts an escape out the back of your axle case :)

I like that camera a lot, some nice footage. I bet it'd make quite a good remote monitor device when parked on the drive, start recording when it detects motion inside the car. How long do the batteries last?

i've just had a thought about this, it doesnt really have to be wireless, a wired USB camera would work as well, but you'd be limited to where you can put it as the cable would have a limit on it

I have finally tested my new tool.

It's basically a mini wireless camera connected to a laptop in order to capture the video.

The camera runs on a 9V battery, so no cables.

As first check I've investigated my axles as I wondered about some play in the steering at higher speeds. The outcome was that the axle is shifting in relation to the chassis. Panhard rod bushes are new and the remaining movement seems to be normal. Therefore it seems to be a landrover thing and I'm not concerned anymore.

See Video here:

Next will be check for play in prop-shafts.

Great Video.

Out of interest is it my eyes or is there lateral movement of your axle during the stearing changes between 2:26 and 2:30?

It might just be a change of light or it could be play in the bolt? if you rock the video back and forth it appears to move?

Marc.

i've just had a thought about this, it doesnt really have to be wireless, a wired USB camera would work as well, but you'd be limited to where you can put it as the cable would have a limit on it

although you can get adaptors to extend usb range using standard cat 5 cable now

although you can get adaptors to extend usb range using standard cat 5 cable now

Yep, with built in active repeaters, I have a couple here which are 5 meters long :)

Quick google: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=97272

Something like that, although I think I found mine cheaper somewhere else.

Out of interest is it my eyes or is there lateral movement of your axle during the stearing changes between 2:26 and 2:30?

It might just be a change of light or it could be play in the bolt? if you rock the video back and forth it appears to move?

Marc.

Yop, that's what I'm saying. The axle is shifting in relation to the chassis. It's just 3mm or so. New panhard bushes and no play nowhere. I would say that's just normal.

In relation to the USB cam: I've choosen the wireless mainly because of the convenience that you can just stick it everywhere. On the other side the resolution should be decent. Many usb webcams have a limited resolution and most important the picture rate is much lower so you get judder.(note that I had to significantly compress the original file for youtube) Also I can choose between different lenses (wide angle, normal or tele) and I can focus manually.

In case I wanted to use it more profesionally it might have been a waterproof zoom camera, but this will then be 5 times more expensive.