Defender 90 Softtop Conversion

Hi guys,

I am looking at converting my 1986 90 SW hardtop into a softtop for 'summer'. I know I will need some sort of seat belt rail which I will weld up, but was wondering, will the hood sticks from a Series 3 fit the defender without modification? Also, what about the windscreen top mount from a S3? Will this work with a new defender canvas top?

Thanks.

There are different types of screen rail and the leading edge of the hood differs to fit the appropriate type of rail.

Take a look at the All Wheel Trim web site, they have some good info on the different types.

S111 sticks could probably be modified, but first thoughts are an S111 is a bit shorter - best to use 90 ones. You will also need the sections that fit over the doors etc. If you can get a roll bar from an ex mod soft top, they have the seat belt mountings attached. they slide into tubes behind the bulkhead so you would need to fabricate these.

You will need a defnder top of the windscreen and a bits for around the doors (well over the top of the door at least) But the rest can be made up from S3 bits

Have a look here and it will show you the differance between the defender and Series fitting All Wheel trim

As for the seat belts i have an ex army roll bar which comes with the mounts for the seat belts

PICT0493.JPG

PICT0433.JPG

Thanks for the response, your 90 looks great by the way reads90. Just to throw a spanner in the works, my 90 has S3 doors, will this make a difference to the door top pieces? They look different on All Wheel Trim....

The doors and series and defenders are the same size so that won't make a differance. The top of the door bits are diffferant on the defender to the series because of the shape of the windscreen and not the doors

go for it mate, i did mine last year, i got a seat belt bar from ebay there new old land rover parts, looks like a mini roll bar and cost about £90. bolt on the bulkhead behind the seats.

heres mine at the start. i fitted a bikini kit so not a full set of hoop's needed

a2-41.jpg

21062008458-1.jpg

21062008459-1.jpg

seat belt bar

21062008466.jpg

21062008467.jpg

22062008474.jpg

21062008465.jpg

finished

21062008469-2.jpg

21062008468-1.jpg

i fitted a full tilt for last winter and new wheels and tyres and an internal roll bar

24012009954-1.jpg

P8100083.jpg

10082008666-1.jpg

• 1 year later...