New over size tyres for Discovery 2

plasticbadger

Hi, I'm about to buy some slightly over size tyres for my Discovery 2. It's used 95% on road, 5% off road, so I want some decent gravel and mud peformance. It also does quite high mileage and is used for towing. I've decided on BF Goodrich AT, as although I've heard good things about the General Grabber AT2 I'm struggling getting hold of them, which makes me nervous for future replacements.

So the question is, should I fit the following (prices from Kamskill tyres):

standard size of 235/70/16 at £106.00 ea

oversize by 5.2% 245/75/16 at £97.70 ea

oversize by 3.8% 255/70/16 at £129.00 ea

So really is the extra width of the 255s worth the sacrifice in height and the extra cost? Or should I look at other sizes?

I have 255/70R16 BFG's on my Discovery 2 and they are brilliant - noticeably better ride than the 235/70R16 road tyres on other vehicles I have driven. It also looks much better B)

I've not had trouble getting AT2s - we resell them at work and have them in half a dozen sizes, not been any supply problems on any of the ones we stock? :unsure:

I run BFG 245/75/R15's AT's on my Disco 1 with a 2in lift. I do about 12k per year on road, and then a few miles (2 or 3) each weekend, pootling around on rough stone tracks or muddy clay-based woodland rides. N.B.: This is NOT recreational off-roading, but just getting me and my kit where I need to be.

The tyres are VERY good on-road, with very acceptable tyre noise, great grip and seemingly endless durability.

Off road, they do fine on the rough tracks and not too bad on softer, damp surfaces.

However, they're NOT good in mud. There's one track I negotiate on a regular basis, with a thin layer (2-3 inches) of wet clay sitting on a firmer base, and a 50m stretch with a steepish incline. I can't give an exact pitch, but let's say about 3 in 1. As soon as the treads fill-up, I begin to lose grip, and there's no choice but to use the winch. If I persist, and try to drive up, the track just gets cut-up with ever deepening ruts. It seems that the AT's are particularly effective at digging-in in this way. One memorable wet afternoon it took me 45 minutes to get up the slope, with 5 or 6 separate winch points required (great practice, but it does get tedious after the first few pulls). And before anyone asks, yes, I was using diff-lock, and low ratio, and I don't try to tear about with spinning wheels..... just a gentle, low-rev stroll.

Not only do the AT's lose straight-ahead grip, but they can also let-go on a lateral slope, sliding gracefully but alarmingly towards the nearest magnetic tree.

I've been contemplating swapping to BFG ATM's, but haven't taken the plunge yet because of the cost.

I run 245/75 16 General Grabber AT2s on my disco, they are superb, I will be replacing them with the same again..

Only time they've let me down was in deep clay-mud that would have stopped a TSL Bogger...

Matt.

Thanks Silverbake, I have BFG AT's on my work's Ford F350 and have found that problem on wet mud. However the traction control copes pretty well in that kind of condition on the D2's current road tyres, until you get all 4 wheels spinning! I just can't think of another tyre that's better in mud, but as good on the road.

Most of the off road work my Disco does is either Sailsbury plain, or towing a trailer onto off road sites.

Does anybody know if i'd need a lift to clear the 245/75/16s as the extra hieght and lower cost really appeals? The thought of not bashing the front bumper over every rut makes me happy.

• 2 years later...

I run BFG 245/75/R15's AT's on my Disco 1 with a 2in lift. I do about 12k per year on road, and then a few miles (2 or 3) each weekend, pootling around on rough stone tracks or muddy clay-based woodland rides. N.B.: This is NOT recreational off-roading, but just getting me and my kit where I need to be.

Sorry to wake up a very old thread - I've just been offered a set of 245/75R16s for my D2 and am wondering if the oversize caused you any problems? I note that the current stock ATs foul on the front suspension at full lock. Wondering if they'd cause me problems. NOTE this is for o/r use only, I'll put the alloys with the 255/55R18 ATs back on for regular use.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to wake up a very old thread - I've just been offered a set of 245/75R16s for my D2 and am wondering if the oversize caused you any problems? I note that the current stock ATs foul on the front suspension at full lock. Wondering if they'd cause me problems. NOTE this is for o/r use only, I'll put the alloys with the 255/55R18 ATs back on for regular use.

The 245/75R16s are slightly larger diameter than my 255/70R16s, about 10mm taller. Mine have no clearance problems at full suspension travel, but do catch on the radius arms very occaisionally at full lock. The 245/75R16s would be better here as they're narrower. I do notice the gearing change, the truck feels sluggish with the over size tyres on, even with the EGR removal and cat free exhaust. The big thing you'll notice is how nice the ride is with the 245s on compared to the 18 inch rims!