Old Sodbury Sortout

ludylandy

Hi all - a newbie here.

I didn't want to turn my first post on this forum into a rant but after attending this event yesterday at Beaulieu I feel I must share my views.

Having lived in the Bath area for a number of years I used to go to this event when it was held in Old Sodbury and found it to be an invaluable source of parts and an enjoyable day out. When the event moved to Newbury the scale of the event was great, I never failed to find what I was looking for and at a price that was usually cheaper than eBay.

Yesterday it cost the wife and I £17 to get in. :o The Sortout was in a separate field to the rest of the autojumble. There were hardly any trade stands and the whole event was a small fraction of the size of Newbury, it actually struggled to half fill the field set aside for the event. I wasn't there for opening but only managed to find 2 things on a shopping list of 7 items.

Just before leaving the field at 1:30 I overheard a conversation between 2 stallholders saying they would be lucky to break even on the day. That being the case I can't imagine they and other stallholders will bother to return making the event even less attractive to buyers. Needless to say I shall not repeat my mistake next year. :angry:

I went last year as I blagged a free pass so didn't have to pay to get in and could park right next to the sortout field. Even then it was a bit pants.

Didn't bother this year - spent the day fitting a 90 filler neck in the rear wing of my hybrid instead - far more productive!

I went last year as I blagged a free pass so didn't have to pay to get in and could park right next to the sortout field. Even then it was a bit pants.

Didn't bother this year - spent the day fitting a 90 filler neck in the rear wing of my hybrid instead - far more productive!

£17 :o

The 'old sodbury sortout' at the LRO show last september was also a joke... I'l lbe going back to the show this september, but won't waste the sunday morning walking around the sortout..

I think the Newbury 'old sodbury sortouts' have been replaced with a similar event, not run by the Old sod..

I think last years antics should have won the Old Sod the Gerald Ratner award for business improvement.

It's probably a bit late for you now, but it might be worth putting in your diary:

newbury 4x4 and vintage spares day

Went to the april one this year, and the october one last year, and it was a good friendly event - a good mix of LR and other agricultural stuff. It wasn't as big as sodbury used to be, but the april one was far bigger than the october one I went to, so given the support from the likes of us, should grow to something even better.

Cheers

Mark

As you suggested, Last year, X-Eng did not break even attending the show - and it's only 30 miles from home so it's not as if the costs were high!

This year - there was no way I was going to repeat the mistake.

As Mark said, Newbury sortout was very good - I'll definitely be going to the one in the autumn.

Si

The £17 included entry to the Beaulieu Motor Museum and associated attractions if you fancy a look. The best bit of the day was looking at all the other classic cars for sale in the paddock and thinking "if only" (or in a couple of cases "what if").

Will stick the Newbury dates in the diary - especially as it's only 4 junctions down the M4. :)

i went to the the sodbury sortout yesterday and i must say that i was disappointed with the turnout. james didnt buy anything. and i couldnt find any of the land rover parts i wanted. I bought a couple of aluminium Zarge cases. However it was nice to see all the classic cars there and it made it to be the most interesting part of the day. didnt go into the museum however, yes 8.50 entry is expensive, but you are effectively seeing two events at the same location. i have no regrets in going to the sodbury sortout but it could have been improved with more of the tradestands as the only one i saw there was exmoor trim. Also nice to see the monster disco2 with the 4ft tyres on it! proper monster!!

As Mark we did the Vintage sortout at Newbury and it was superb TBH. I liked the blend of old tractors and stationary engines plus LR. But then I have never been partial to 'challenge trucks' ;)

Anything held at Beaulieu has always been expensive - that's always been a good reason for not bothering to go (unless I get a free pass LOL ).

I was going to the beaulieu sort-out with a big heap of bits but a week before I realised I was way too late to book so didn't. I wasn't looking to makwe a fortune, just clear the decks in a single hit hopefully to make space for the new project.

Surely you should be able to book a few days before at least.

Will :)