Another Defender special edition fails to sell well new

SteveG

I usually quite like the special edition defenders, the original SV90 was pretty cool, I liked the 50th, and the herritage, and even the G4 wasn't too bad.

The only thing I like about the SVX is the front seats.. the rest of it is just bolt on tat...

I think they should do a proper 'evo' or 'R-spec' defender with either a petrol or diesel V8, winch, lockers and cage (they can supply most of that through special vehicles anyway)

Original colours (marine blue, that pale green colour and limestone)

OMEmu suspension

255/85x16BFG MTs on limestone or black wolf rims

Heated vinyl seats

Simple modern centre dash (think series 2 x new mini)

BBQ grill

TDV8 with TC, HDC etc (all waterproofed obviously)

Job done

Where do I apply for the position of Land Rover Special editions manager?

Will :)

I think they should do a proper 'evo' or 'R-spec' defender with either a petrol or diesel V8, winch, lockers and cage (they can supply most of that through special vehicles anyway)

PRoblem with that is it implies the standard Defender isn't good enough.

Hence special editions being tarted with plastic tat, rather than functional features.

In yesterday's Sunday paper, Inchcape had an advert offering £5370.60 + VAT off a new SVX 60th. Good news if you want one now, but not so good for those that bought at list last year.

So yet another Defender special edition fails to sell well when new. Makes you wonder if LR wanting to modernise the next Defender will work or not.

http://www.inchcapelandrover.com/special-offers/

Cheers

Steve

mmmm Mike Street will be pleased. Afrter all he bought about 50 of the 50th 90. A load of heratage 110's and 90 's and most of the time picks up all the unsold speacials from Land Rover and keeps a couple in his own little (not so little ) Musiuem

Problem with that is it implies the standard Defender isn't good enough.

Hence special editions being tarted with plastic tat, rather than functional features.

The same could be said of all manufacturers performance editions..

You could argue that Ford shouldn't be making a Focus RS because that implies that the regular Focus isn't good enough..?

Or why do we need a Mitsubishi Evo 10 when the factory Lancer is good enough for most situations..?

high performance editions are about focus, ie- focusing on that part of the vehicles performance and pushing it.. all new vehicles are a compromise, all the special high performance models do is shift that compromise in one direction..

Landrover have no drive to put out performance editions because they are not involved in motorsport, and have never spent much money on R&D...

PRoblem with that is it implies the standard Defender isn't good enough.

Good enough for what? I thought it was supposed to be a utility vehicle not yet another 'lifestyle' choice so beloved of marketing types.

Just spotted this thread bit late in the day but I feel so strongly about the subject that I thought I'd reiterate what most of you have already said.

UGLY, UGLY! The most UGLY thing I have seen from LR.

I was killing time waiting in my local dealership the other day so I gave their 60th a once over.

Never mind it being so UGLY, the build quality was disgraceful. It had not even been registered for the road and it has rust in at least 3 places that I could see easily. Screws not done up tight enough to clamp the washers tight, interior trim skew-wiff or missing. The bikini top didn't seem to fit very well either. Spotted all that in just 5 minutes, I'd hate to have bought it :angry:

I drove a Puma 90 HT when they were fairly new and liked the low interior noise levels and the willing engine. But I wouldn't want one with all that UGLY plastic bolted to it.

The 60th edition Defender should have been an object of desire, yes with a V8, maybe auto too, but NO hideous plastic. The rest of the truck wouldn't be too bad if they could put it together properly.

Oh errr, rant over, sorry.