Tuning the 300tdi Diesel Pump, Whats the 'standard' setting?

StreetDragster

Hi All,

Just tweaking my diesel pump follwing the excellent guide on here.

I've removed the diaphram, confirmed the eccentric parts position collelates to the position of the 'centre punch' mark.

With this confirmed, that means that the pump was set to roughly 75% of its full richness setting (I think, 45 degrees off the horizontal, see pic

So, is that standard or has a previous owner tampered with the diesel pump?

I'm getting excessive black smoke on full throttle/full load, i've cleaned out the intercooler (internally and externally), replaced the boost hoses, replaced the air filter, put injector cleaner in the tank and checked for leaks. All good, so i turned to the diesel pump to see if it had been tampered with, what do you think?

I've so far, backed it down to what i think is about 60% full load, (1/8th of a turn back) to see the effect, am i a long way off the standard general setting?

I undestand that there is probably no exact setting and every pump is likely to be different, but just wondering how far it can go before i risk leaning it out too much

Thanks

Matt

i did it to my 200, and i forgot to mark the diaphragm, moved it by mistake and spent the hole day getting it right again, i just turned it back around 30 degrees at a time and rassed it around a field, then did it again. (the best place to get it right is in a field with flat and very steep bits, so you can test it all trough the different conditions) also you dont need a workshop to tune it, just a flathead screwdriver, a socket tx25 bit and an adjustable just in case. i now have it about right but its a little exessive, it sounds good though, look at the smoke and compare.

mikey

Hi All,

Think i have managed to dial in my cars diesel pump now, but i have two questions if anyone can help me out...

1) It still smoke excessively, but only in the condition that you have, for example, pulled out onto a 2 nd gear road, and you leave it in third, lots and lots of smoke. Obviously being int he right gear will cure this, but i just wondered if theres any adjustments that could improve this situation, because we all do it occasionally!

2) What happens if i 'over lean' off the pump? I know on a petrol car lean is a massive bad thing, but a friend tells me that you cannot lean off a diesel pump too much and do damage, not sure whether i should believe him?

Thanks

Matt

1) You can back off the smoke screw on top of the diaphragm this reduces off boost fuelling

2) less power - and lower EGT - which is a good thing on a diesel. You'll soon turn it back up though if it feels like driving a 2.25 naturally asthmatic :)

Hi All Again,

Right i think i'm just about there with my diesel pump adjustments, so here's what i have done to 'detune' my car and get rid of the smoke, for those of you that turn up the pump, do these adjustments sound about right for what you would have to do to reverse the tuning?

I'm getting virtually no smoke from the car most of the time, medium amounts if you set off in the wrong gear, such as 3rd on a 2nd gear road, and a light haze at full throttle acceleration. Its probably a touch lean but i think (hope!) thats ok for a diesel pump.

Smoke Screw

1.5 Turns (540 degrees) Anti Clockwise [Might Go To 2 Turns yet]

Diaphram

Originally set to the 19:30 position on a clock face, 75% of its full travel. I reduced this to the 18:00 position, 50% of its full travel, in line with the scores from the assumed 'standard' setting

Star Wheel

1 Turn (360 Degrees) Anti Clockwise

Thanks

Matt

Hi All Again,

Right i think i'm just about there with my diesel pump adjustments, so here's what i have done to 'detune' my car and get rid of the smoke, for those of you that turn up the pump, do these adjustments sound about right for what you would have to do to reverse the tuning?

I'm getting virtually no smoke from the car most of the time, medium amounts if you set off in the wrong gear, such as 3rd on a 2nd gear road, and a light haze at full throttle acceleration. Its probably a touch lean but i think (hope!) thats ok for a diesel pump.

Smoke Screw

1.5 Turns (540 degrees) Anti Clockwise [Might Go To 2 Turns yet]

Diaphram

Originally set to the 19:30 position on a clock face, 75% of its full travel. I reduced this to the 18:00 position, 50% of its full travel, in line with the scores from the assumed 'standard' setting

Star Wheel

1 Turn (360 Degrees) Anti Clockwise

Thanks

Matt

Has the main fueling screw been adjusted? it should have a seal over it. If its been adjusted it will give more or (less) fuel at all throttle positions.

I was getting this off boost smoking (pulling away in too higher gear) and after turning back the smoke screw to no avail I found backing off the main fuel screww a quarter of a turn solved my problem (almost)

I do wonder if some of the off-boost overfuelling is down to worn injectors or a worn turbo though!!

I couldn't get a really good look at it, but from what i could see, and what i felt, i think it still has the anti tamper coller on it so i assume its remained at its stock setting. I will have another look though after what you said.

The cars got 130k on the clock, so no doubt something is worn and a contributing factor, but the closer to perfect the better :)

Thanks

Matt

these "de tuning"steps you have taken, sound about the exact opposite to what i did to tune mine, so it is probably right, and if its too lean, it doesent kill it. although it may try and bring in more air into the fuel lines (just a thought, probably a load of bulls**t)

mikey