How far over can a V8 go?

I thought they were 90 deg V8 but not 100% sure...

Presumably the engine will run at whatever angles LR specify for the vehicle which IIRC is something like 45 deg fore and aft and 30 deg side slope?

In all my years trialing a v8 90 i have never had a prob with the oil pressure light coming on or the engine cutting out, i can say that you will be on your roof or side before you have a problem! :lol:

All V8's with the exception of Rover V8 Meteorites (cut down V12 Meteors) to my knowledge are 90 degree for inherant balance reasons. V12 and V6 engines for the same reasons should be 60 degree, unless they are fitted with a balance shaft, in which case anything goes. I think! :huh:

All V8's with the exception of Rover V8 Meteorites (cut down V12 Meteors) to my knowledge are 90 degree for inherant balance reasons. V12 and V6 engines for the same reasons should be 60 degree, unless they are fitted with a balance shaft, in which case anything goes. I think! :huh:

Bill, I think there are a few modern V8s with lower bank angles but these tend to be very racey engines with flat plane cranks (the TVR's own V8s, Ferrari V8s etc).

I've had a 5ltr tvr lump hydraulic on it's own oil after about 20mins sat on a 50-60 degree sideslope.

Hi Dirtydiesel,

When it does this will it bend something or just come to a halt undamaged?

Marc.

When it does this will it bend something or just come to a halt undamaged?

I would imagine that all the black smoke beforehand indicating oil in cylinders, would give you some warning of the impending halt/explosion*

(*or "spontaneously disaassemble" as Sony famously described their laptop battery fault)

It smoked a bit, then missfired a lot then bend 2 rods.

I had heard from hearsay at trials that the max angle for a RV8 was a 45 deg side slope, but I had not seen any actual evidence.

Marc.

Been thinking about this quite a lot lately (mainly due to having just fitted a V8).

Firstly, on an EFI (I assume a carb'd motor stops before its a problem), does it usually happen one way more than the other? I assume the oil floods the rocker cover on the low side and gets picked up by the intake via the breather. In which case the RH rocker has the breather in it so the RH side is going to be the one to cause issues. If that's the case would some re routing of the breather help. Maybe a breather to both rocker covers so the engine can breath through the higher/clear rocker cover rather than pushing oil up the lower/oil filled rocker cover???? Anyone any idea's???

It could also be the valve stem oil seals letting oil passed but I'd be surprised if seals in good condition would allow enough past to lock the motor. Maybe enough to make it smoke for a while but I can live with that!

So any idea's either the reasons for it or how to stop it???

Steve.

Steve

If as you say the mode is oil drawn into the breather then modified covers with breathers grafted into the inboard top edge of both covers and joined by a tee piece would take the angle further and probably beyond the point the vehicle itself will roll.

I agree the valve guides are not the culprit.

Steve

Been thinking about this quite a lot lately (mainly due to having just fitted a V8).

Firstly, on an EFI (I assume a carb'd motor stops before its a problem), does it usually happen one way more than the other? I assume the oil floods the rocker cover on the low side and gets picked up by the intake via the breather. In which case the RH rocker has the breather in it so the RH side is going to be the one to cause issues. If that's the case would some re routing of the breather help. Maybe a breather to both rocker covers so the engine can breath through the higher/clear rocker cover rather than pushing oil up the lower/oil filled rocker cover???? Anyone any idea's???

It could also be the valve stem oil seals letting oil passed but I'd be surprised if seals in good condition would allow enough past to lock the motor. Maybe enough to make it smoke for a while but I can live with that!

So any idea's either the reasons for it or how to stop it???

Steve.

take both rocker cover breathers to a catch tank mounted on the bulkhead and return pipes back to the inlets

make the breather come out of the engine bay and up behind a snorkle (if fitted), it wont be in the intake system, and you could add a catcher tank to it. or if no snorkle then high up in engine bay with little filter on.

mikey

I've been competing and driven a 4.2v8 along a 50-60 deg trench on its doors and only being held up by its winches but the whole time I knew I was asking too much and at any time the oil light could have come on and my co-driver was watching for smoke to whole time. As it happens it caused a air lock and lead to the truck over heating and failing the timed section.

unless your running a dry sump which will only help a bit your going to struggle with most engines than put out any real power on a side slop.

I've had mine at some stupid angles (especially with the mid winch) and only once had a problem at Wern-Du, Corwen, last year when it stood up vertical on its nose and it dropped oil pressure which is the point I turned it off, I use a mechanical gauge and keep my eye on it (no not the glass one) when it starts defying gravity.

It was up to 80-85* stood up, bruised my rids (even with padding) on the harnesses and the lad could'nt reach the rear winch rope for ages to pull it back down

It didn't fully hydraulic but turned over very slowly so I left it a couple of mins and hey presto, incidentally I don't run valve guide rubbers any more, keeps the top moist, just smokes a little bit at times but I can live with that.

You will find the point of damage when it all goes t*ts up and stops, shall we all buy a land meter and report in ?