Deadly wobbly revisited

:( I changed the brake disk and caliper on the rear side of the defender. I ignored using the new taper roller encasement and used the old one while I then changed all the taper roller bearings (Timkens) After this was done I find the car "wobbling" and it simply scared the Sh%&¤t out-a-me! Did I do something wrong? Hub nut has been torqued to right NM and it has been greased to the metal. :huh:

post-7610-1242716801_thumb.jpg

post-7610-1242716838_thumb.jpg

post-7610-1242716908_thumb.jpg

Do the simple check first, without even lifting the car, hold the top of the wheel and try to rock it sideways, put some effort into it.

There is a possibility the bearings didn't go fully home when you installed them, even after torquing the nut up, but they have moved while the vehicle is being driven.

If the first test shows no clear result, lift the wheel off the ground and try again, but this time also spin the wheel (before you loosen the wheel nuts), to check the wheel is running true.

When you drove it, were the brakes OK?

HTH

TBH it's good practice to change the races as well as the bearings. If the problem did not exist before the job the only way to rectify is to strip down and check your work.

Ahh, it will be interesting to see the response. I'd translated "taper roller encasement" as the hub casting that holds the bearings, thus my 'new bearing not home' response. You have translated "taper roller encasement" to be the outer shell or race of the bearing, which if correct means my response is a nonsense.

Whatever, I agree the answer involves a second look at the work area.

TBH it's good practice to change the races as well as the bearings. If the problem did not exist before the job the only way to rectify is to strip down and check your work.

Dav U both are right.. I went and lifted the truck a little and shook it frantically and it wobbled. I guess I need to change the races! The calipers rock against the disk. Uncomfortable too....Thanks a lot. I think I must do that again.. Whew.... :o:o:(

post-7610-1242720681_thumb.jpg

post-7610-1242720730_thumb.jpg

Changing only one part of a 2-part bearing is a very naughty thing to do. Now putting the new bearing track in to match the new race that you already replaced is also a bit naughty. You should go and buy new bearings and do it properly.

Les :)

Changing only one part of a 2-part bearing is a very naughty thing to do. Now putting the new bearing track in to match the new race that you already replaced is also a bit naughty. You should go and buy new bearings and do it properly.

Les :)

(In a saluting manner ;) ) Yes Sir.. I have over 10 bearings at home and will redo it immediately Les.. I am very sorry for that Les....( shaking like a dead leaf)

:huh::o

Must admit, I did not know something so innocuous could "wobble" my tail................

I agree. Just failing to change the bearing track IMHO, would not be the cause of such a wobble. I would suggest that some thing else was also wrong.

When changing the bearing (and track), double check everyhing is seated correctly and done up to the correct torque.

Spin the hub (with the wheel on if you wish) when torquing up the hub nut.

• 3 weeks later...

:( Sometimes just crossing the heart and looking up the skies and buying parts can be disastrous. My woeful days are over. I bought a part on Eblag which simply had the description below.

"Rear Brake disk .. fits defender VIN LA (94)---> " Definitely not a defender 1999 td5 110 model.

I did the stripping and the job was done. I had one of my nightmares when the Wobble started. The wrong part scratched into the caliper and caliper holder .I have now decided to be more careful and get right into the books and get the right part numbers to avoid this problem the next time.

I re-bought the right part from Lr series and the trouble is finished.

Les.... the inner racing/casing plus taper rolling was all changed to fit the bearing and yes I think I could have got away with it only if the part was the right one... Pics below.

Please becareful and more specific when buying parts and when it does not fit park the truck.

http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listi...RAKE-SOLID.html

Everything fits real solid. :D

post-7610-1244467589_thumb.jpg

post-7610-1244467648_thumb.jpg

post-7610-1244467708_thumb.jpg