just a query

audiman

just a quick query

at present only just joined this site

got a vitara that I do greenlaning with

but would really like a range rover

on quite a tight budget what would be the best model to go for

not looking for any thing to extreme just something that would allow me to greenlane and also use as a part tme dd

regards

Audiman

Guest noggy

Do you have a V8 fetish? to you crave the burble?

or do you like the reliability and economy of a diesel?

they come up on ebay often enough for under 700 quid.

i purchased one for 350 WITH tax and test.

I fancy a V8

but not sure if I could afford to run one

budget for starters is £700 ish

if it was a v8 was thinking the 3.5 engine (erm i am assuming this is a v8)

if i am right its the same engine they used in the rover sdi again correct me if i am wrong

cheers

lee :D

All petrol Range Rovers will be V8, the engines are all the same thing used in the SD1 but various stages of development and fuel economy. Use the search button and search for "buying advice" "buying range rover" or such like, you should find plenty of reading material.

'Classic' (ie. original shape) Range Rovers came with three different factory fit diesels - VM, 200TDi and 300TDi. Only the very last ones had the 300TDi (M reg, maybe L), I'm not sure when they switched to the 200TDi - maybe around 1990ish? - or when the VMs were first offered (I'd hazard a guess at late 70s/early 80s, but that could be way out). 200TDi is generally considered to be the pick of the bunch - you'll be lucky to find a good 300TDi for your money, because late, clean diesels still command a bit of a premium (saw an admittedly tidy 300TDi M reg advertised at £4k earlier :blink:).

If you go for a V8, then for what you're talking about using it for there's nothing to pick between a 3.5 and 3.9 (or even 4.2 I would imagine, though I've not driven one - you'd pay more for that anyway). For your budget you may well find a reasonable LPG converted V8 classic, which at the expense of range and convenience will give you all the pleasures of a V8 for slightly cheaper than diesel running costs.

Your big consideration should be the overall condition of the vehicle rather than age or even what engine it has. There are plenty of cheap Range Rovers around, but quite a lot of them are complete sheds.

Personally, for your budget I'd be looking for a sound 3.9V8 from about '92/'93. Plenty around, cheap as chips and have the later and (slightly) less temperamental hotwire fuel injection.

For laning stick to standard (100") wheel base, not the long wheel base LSE models - standard ones are cheaper and much more common anyway.

Geoff thankyou very much

that is very helpfull i didn't realise untill you said it that there was a long wheel base range rover

I have found a 200 tdi that looks pretty tidy and would be in my price range but its about 180 miles away from where i live and do not fancy travelling to it

so I now realise that I have got to be patient and wait for one to come in a reasonable distance from my home

if I decide to go for a v8 then just personally choice would prefer the 3.5 but i think the 200tdi would be the best option (fuel costs / range)

I am still pretty new to 4x4 as a whole so all advice and info is very much appriceated

regards

Lee :D

My very clean 1993 3.9i Vogue SE came with 12 months MOT and 1 month tax for £750. It's lovely - one tiny bit of welding, excellent body and mint interior (then I tore it apart and fitted Toyota axles to it :lol: ). I managed 20 mpg average driving gently prior to mods.

In contrast a mate is selling an extremely rough 1988 3.5 efi with LPG for £300, so you take your choice.

In my opinion the extra cost of the diesels is only worth while if you're gonna do some decent mileage, otherwise go V8 and love the noise and power!

well possibly got me a 1990 v8 with lpg lined up and not too far away from me

been greenlaned but only got standard size mud tyres on and some scratches to bodywork

has had welding done to arches and usual places but gut reckons chasssis is good also it an auto which will be fine for me

only problem now is got to sell the vitara currently on ebay if it dont go then the range rover wont happen

cheers

Lee

:)

• 2 weeks later...

well after a disaster trying to sell my vitara on ebay

have got to put a range rover on hold untill I can afford to buy one

but will keep looking though

many thanks for all the advice so far

regards

Lee :D