Radiators

Before we take my 200TDi 110 to the south of France and subsequently into the Austrian mountains, I was a little sceptical about the condition of the radiator.

Erring on the side of caution, I got a good second hand discovery rad and intercooler from a chap not too far from me.

As I swapped them over, i realised just how shockingly bad the old unit is!

The front of it had the top five rows of water channels without any fins attached. I though that was bad enough to replace it-

Take a look at the back of the rad- It is quite amazing to think that it never overheated, never leaked or gave any problems at all! I just didn't want to risk the thing blowing halfway up a mountain range!!

The new rad had a pinhole leak so in with the magic K-Seal!! Superb stuff!!!!

I managed to get a better intercooler too which has made a massive difference to the power of the engine! I have even re-set my fuel pump as it doesn't need the tweak to make it go now.

I have an 82'c thermostat in. It sits nicely at 84' at 70mph. Happy with that!! Before, it was reaching 90 before I bottled it.

Anyway- Some photos of the offending radiator

post-6894-1242741418_thumb.jpg

Pah! That's nothing! Have a look at this one off my 1992 200Tdi D90.

Picture.jpg

I noticed my temperature gauge rising whilst running at 70ish on the motorway.

I'd read a few threads on this forum where a lot of people said it was radiator related. I took the Fan cowl off and that was what I saw. I've also noticed there's a slight leak too so it was definitely time to change the radiator. I'm ditching the viscous fan and fitting an electric one too.

Pah! That's nothing! Have a look at this one off my 1992 200Tdi D90.

Picture.jpg

I noticed my temperature gauge rising whilst running at 70ish on the motorway.

I'd read a few threads on this forum where a lot of people said it was radiator related. I took the Fan cowl off and that was what I saw. I've also noticed there's a slight leak too so it was definitely time to change the radiator. I'm ditching the viscous fan and fitting an electric one too.

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo