windscreen squirter info?

Hello again,

I am slowly working my way though various little annoying problems with this 110 we bought last month. Part of the niggling annoyance is that I cannot locate a manual locally, although I am in the process of ordering one.

The latest is that I cannot figure out what is going on with the front windscreen washer. I have found that the little spring in the steering column mounted lever that operates the wipers etc. is missing, but that doesn't explain the problem. I can hear the washer pump motor running, but no liquid is coming out of the nozzles onto the windscreen. And I cannot find any liquid squirting out anywhere else.

And I know this sounds strange, but while I can hear the pump running, I have not yet located it's actual physical location.

Is it attached to the fluid resovoir? Would I need to remove that to get to it and see if the little hoses are all connected?

Thanks for your help and patience.

Well, I just spent another hour with it. I am getting a bit frustrated. It is looking like it would take an airconditioning mechanic to dismantle the ac system, and then perhaps removing the left front fender, and air intake, just to get at the resovoir. There doesn't appear to be any way to get to it. No way to put a screwdriver on the top of the screws to remove the nuts under the wheel well.

I can hear the pump running when I close the circuit, but I cannot get a finger on it or see it.

I must be missing something.

Have you pulled the squirters off to see if the pin holes are blocked? Mine were blocked with black growth when I bought mine (which was sitting rusting away on the Sherland Islands). Same symptoms could hear the pump running with nothing coming out...

Well, the rear one works. Do the squirters just pull off? I have hesitated to apply too much force to them, not being sure if they are attached some way inside.

No they are not meant to pull apart, just get a sewing needle or a straightened paper clip & poke that in the small brass balls [these are the wash jets] to clean them out, it is possible to prise the balls out of the housing then operate the washers to flush any dirt out.

just don't looses the balls when you get them out.

remove the front lights on that side & get to the pumps from there.

Eureka, as they say in the cartoons. Guess it was good for me to learn how to do this, anyhow. In case I ever feel the need to try to do something about these anemic, pale yellow headlights...

anyhow, this gave me access to the pumps, and pulling the tubing off, working my way forward, I found what appears to be a small inline checkvalve right up against the firewall. I have removed that, and cannot blow any air through it.

This is the problem, though. I can blow through the tubes the rest of the way on either side of this little troublesome checkvalve. I assume it is to get quicker fluid on the squirter by not letting it flow backwards. Strange place to put it, though.

I am almost positive nothing like this will exist on this little island.

Those items cost next to nothing even with shipping from the UK...

Look for AMR6676

http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listi...alve&page=8

Ah, if that were only true. Shipping that little $ 3 item would cost me around $75 via Fed Ex. Postal service is not an option here. It would never arrive. Well, I guess there is maybe a 25% chance it would arrive in my Post Office Box. Sometimes later this year. But I doubt it. No package has ever made it to us yet via mail. Not in four years. Although I have heard of other people receiving things from time to time. I have never witnessed it myself.

Then just hit a wreckers. They MUST have those....

Oh, I have hit every wrecking yard on this little island, looking for parts for a Ford and then a Suzuki Samurai. Never, ever, did I see a Land Rover in one of them. Its possible, but not likely.

I have now found that the pump itself is bad, too. So perhaps I can put together enough of a shopping list to make it worthwhile to pay the shipping.

Part of the price one pays to live in a small third world island nation, i suppose.

it should let air/fluid through one way just check & make sure it's fitted the right way so the screen wash fluid gets to the wash jets or replace the valve with a bit of pipe the flexible tubing will slide on to.

Well, with other nice bits I need I have managed to put together a shopping list of about 130 quid worth of stuff, and I have tried repeatedly to get it to the LR Series people, but no luck. The online registration thing doesnt work. The online ordering thing doesnt work. And they do not reply to emails.

Its a shame there isn't one responsive company out there who carries all these parts and have customer service people who actually work.

So far, I have not been able to find one.

Thanks for the tips. I actually need to establish a long term relationship with a supplier, but it needs to be one supplier who carries just about everything I will need to upgrade and maintain the D-90 and the 110, and I have a lot of plans for these.

But it also needs to be a supplier who can ship via one of the very few couriers who fly into here. You would not believe how many times I have readied an order with an internet vendor ( and not just in the UK, the USA is just as bad) only to be told at the last moment that they could not ship FedEx. Or UPS. Or to a designated freight forwarder in Miami.

(Rovers North has lost several thousand of my dollars in business because they insist on only shipping to the credit card's billing address. Sorry, but my US billing address is not equipped to accept and then reship spare tire carriers and aluminum plate. )

This is incredibly stupid. All they have to do is pick up the telephone and call FedEx. They will send a truck to their very door, and bring the form to fill out, and the driver will even help them fill out the form! And they will let me pay the freight charges at this end!

If I were running a supply house and found out my sales people refused an order because they were too lazy to look into the customers shipping requirements, I would shortly have a new sales person.

It's all about maintaining market share. And companies who do not understand how to react to customers needs should be allowed to fail. Get out of the way.

(Okay. That's the end of my frustration rant for the day. Forgive me, I just had a total knee replacement and the pain meds make me aggressive, short tempered, and intolerant of certain sales cretins who should be facing early retirement.)

I prised it open and although I somehow lost some little interior part ( it shot out of there so fast I never saw it, so would assume it's a spring) I put it back together and can use it now. NOT as a check valve, because it no longer works. It is now just a coupling until I can get a replacement one ordered. So, it just takes a little longer for the fluid to reach the windscreen.

Speaking of ordering, the frustration continues. I have now tried for two days to place an order with Craddock. I know it's not a huge order, some $ 650 or so worth of parts, but to me it's a substantial starting order.

But I cannot get any response from them via their online ordering form, their online "contact us" form, or direct email to them. Nothing. Zip. Nada.

SO, if Craddock was your first choice and you could not get any response from them, who would be your second choice as a good supplier?

Well BritCar has five of the eight things on the list....at least.

Too bad they don't carry the most expensive one, the EX 5187 Truck Cab Hood ( Exmoor trim)

John Craddock always responds and ships my parts within a day, no matter the size and I simply place orders online.

If part of your order is an Exmoor trim piece, that will be a special order and they need to wait in Exmoor, who are not especially fast...