1995 300tdi Disco

letsgodisco

Hi folks

Long time no thread.

Just tried to fire the old bus up and the key wont turn...it comes out and goes in ok but wont turn in the barrel...I can see a sort of ballbearing type thingy drop into view when the key is removed (not sure if that was there before the problem) and when I put the key in it shoves it out of the way.

1) Do I need a new ignition? or can I fix it?

2) Is it an easy job to fit or fix (I think the alarm runs off it).

3) Whats the cost etc etc

As you can see when it comes to mechanics Im a luddite.

Cars stood and Im Bollo@%*!!!!

Any help much appreciated

Thank you Amigos! Regards Sime.

Mine does this - I find taking the key out, turning it around and putting it in makes it work.

NOW I know it should work both ways so dont ask me why this happens, it just does!

I also found that waggling the wheel around a bit doesnt help, and neither does pushing the key in and out a few times!

mine does it quite often, somethings a miss inside the lock barrel. its not that the steering lock is forcing the key not to turn as you can pull it off lock and the key will still not turn. the way i get the key to turn is to remove the key, wiggle the steering with the lock on and try the key again, repeat process if it fails first time, its annoying but i cant be assed with the hassle of changing the steering lock, havnt tried the spare key yet

Might be obvious, so i apologise in advance if you have already tried this, but have you tried waggling the steering wheel? Mine sometimes has the symptoms your describe due to the steering lock, a little waggle and its all ok.

Thanks

Matt

Tried that Matt.....I shook the wheels head off but nowt!

mine does it quite often, somethings a miss inside the lock barrel. its not that the steering lock is forcing the key not to turn as you can pull it off lock and the key will still not turn. the way i get the key to turn is to remove the key, wiggle the steering with the lock on and try the key again, repeat process if it fails first time, its annoying but i cant be assed with the hassle of changing the steering lock, havnt tried the spare key yet

In reply to James Ive tried turning the key......gunna have a go at Ash's suggestion, turning wheel without key in first......its been sound for 126,000 miles!

In reply to James Ive tried turning the key......gunna have a go at Ash's suggestion, turning wheel without key in first......its been sound for 126,000 miles!

Waggled & Wiggled...Jiggled it.....strangled it, turned key around......still nowt but Thanks for your suggestions and keep em coming! Cheers.

Have you tried some WD40?

Gunna try WD40 & Cowling off.....meanwhile does anyone know how I can get down to the starter switch so I can use screwdriver in the morning, ideally I would like to dismantle in such a way that it can be popped over the top so as not to advertise the open ignition (cant leave nowt out round here) apologies if its easy or obvious but I aint looked at it yet.

Great site this.....Thanks for all your replies thus far.

not sure as to the similarity between ignition barrels but i remember taking the cowling off of my metro and there was only 2 screws holding the ignition switch to the barrel, remove and turn the switch with a screwdriver. Knowing rover products the column is probably near on the same as other models from the group! noticed at sodbury sortout on sunday that an austin allegro shares the same outer door handle/lock as discos and rangies!

not sure as to the similarity between ignition barrels but i remember taking the cowling off of my metro and there was only 2 screws holding the ignition switch to the barrel, remove and turn the switch with a screwdriver. Knowing rover products the column is probably near on the same as other models from the group! noticed at sodbury sortout on sunday that an austin allegro shares the same outer door handle/lock as discos and rangies!

WD40tidit and cowling off but I think the barsteward may be flucked.....you are right about the ALL AGROs and many other models from BL they do share the same door handles (ignitions n'all I bet)....by the way Allegro 1500 special (5 speed box Wooooo) was my first motor, front wheel ripped off on a bend about 30mph, they dont makem like they used to.....Thank F%@><!

hearing that definately puts the allegro even lower than the last car on earth that id buy! :lol:

Problem solved!...........well sort of, just bagged a full ignition with leads and keys on ebay, was £40.00 Buy it Now or Best Offers.....bid him Twenny quid ( + 2.50 postage) and he kindly accepted, happy wi that!!!

Might even use it as an excuse to try my new mountain bike out while its delivered......Ive had the bike 3 weeks and it aint turned a wheel.....fat arse get ready for PAIN!!!

Thanks for all your help and suggestions, very much appreciated.

Best LR site in the world bar none.......is that Les 'the oracle' Henson still kicking about.....some say he was born in the tub of a Land Rover.

Thanks Guys Rgds Sime.

my old one used to suffer with this, a swift bang on the handle end of the key with the pal of your hand, with it in the ignition always used to solve it.

YeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

TOP PRIZE goes to DISCO-AL (aka The Fonz).....swift bang on the key handle while in situ and she cracked up like a guddun with a nice and smooth key turn.

Unbelieveable, who'da thought it....I tried every luddite combination known to man except the swift twattifer.

Big Thanks again Al

Sime :D

I was having the ignition key problem on my V8, I read a post on here which suggested using use some graphite powder in the lock. Got some on eblag, gave it a squirt and it's been fine since. Dave

YeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

TOP PRIZE goes to DISCO-AL (aka The Fonz).....swift bang on the key handle while in situ and she cracked up like a guddun with a nice and smooth key turn.

Unbelieveable, who'da thought it....I tried every luddite combination known to man except the swift twattifer.

Big Thanks again Al

Sime :D

just did this on mine, and it worked!

:lol:

I was having the ignition key problem on my V8, I read a post on here which suggested using use some graphite powder in the lock. Got some on eblag, gave it a squirt and it's been fine since. Dave

Well done at least some one has done it correctly, as any locksmith and they will tell you to keep a way from any oil based lube in locks.