recommend me some head lights please..

hi all,

sorry if this is a DPM post.

5 months into ownership and i have to say the LR bug is 100% here. I dread to think how much i've spent so far just getting the car semi-straight.

My old rusty E reg 90 has just come back from having a cheap respray and having a new rear cross member fitted.

Now it's a case of actually putting it back together and enjoying the mini project. I removed all the lights before it was painted and i'm fitting new NAS lights all around and replacing the side repeaters and rear number plate light so they are covered

What i want to do is to replace the two candle headlights but i'm looking for opinions and recommendations on the available products. I've tried searching the foums but could not find anything..

What headlights are popular and work well? I remember a couple of threads about different lights but could not find them.

thanks in advance.

Rick

I put the crystal one's in mine and they are a huge improvement. I also bought new plastic bowls to go behind them and provide some sort of protection. The fiddly bit is the H4 connector won't go through the cable hole, but you can actually take it apart put the wires through and then put the connector back on. The wire connectors latch in the plastic moulding, and once you work out which side of the metal connector to put a thin screwdriver down, they just pull out. First side took about an hour, the second 3 mins!

Osram Night Breaker H4's are supposed to be 90% brighter than standard and having fitted them to mine recently I have to agree they are certainly much better than anything else I have tried so far.

another vote for wipac crystals

and new bowls altho i cut the bowl bit off so i could change the headlight with out removing the who front

also worth sealing around the rubber cover at the back and around the were the bulb contacts the rubber too after filling them up once was enough to try an empty

also on the H4 side of things i found some that were 55watt on the head light setting and 100watts for the full beam also worth a look at so you not dazeling everyone

dave

Hi there,

In my own Expierence, The two candle lights of a sealed beam are worth keeping. But fit some Proper lights up top, or a lamp pod, or an a bar.

My reasons for this is that every time you go through some water, with a H4 conversion they fill up and with the heat of the bulbs they explode!!

So i think that driving with two candles on the front is better than no lights on the front.

Cheers

Neil

HELLA.

Wipac have holes in the beams .....

Then wire the lights up correctly. The standard Land Rover wiring will give you a huge volt drop and you'll loose any gain with the new lights.

There is a post of how to wire them up on here somewhere.

mike

I'd also recommend the Phillips X-treme Power 80% bulbs, going for about £16 a pair on ebay. They made a huge improvement over standard H4 bulbs in Wipac Quadoptic headlights (but prefer Cibie H180), and did very well in the AutoExpress tests against Osram. I'd avoid the temptation to throw a lot of light just in front of your vehicle on main beam too as it spoils your distance vision.

Nigel

• 1 month later...
I want to add Wipac crystals as well!! :rolleyes:

Would anyone know if i was to add a 6000k H4 HID kit, would it melt the light casing??? As its made from plastic!!!

forget HID lights, the vehicles must have a self levelling system.headlight wash system as orginal equipment, adding HIDS to older vehicles is not legal in UK.

Guest otchie1

How fast do you drive at night in this? You only need enough light to see by, not to illuminate the whole street - 45/55 is plenty on UK roads at Defender speeds. Spend your off road budget on some spots for off road use and just stick some decent bulbs in the standard headlamps and drive a bit slower when it's dark.

'Ring' spots are plenty good enough if all you're doing is wandering around BOATS. Hella are in the same league as North Face kit - fine if you ever actually go up Everest but a waste if you never get that far.

Nothing I hate more than being blinded by some numpty with over bright low beam. High beam's fair enough, go to town, melt the road with your manly lights but please keep low beam, errm, low :P

How fast do you drive at night in this? You only need enough light to see by, not to illuminate the whole street - 45/55 is plenty on UK roads at Defender speeds. Spend your off road budget on some spots for off road use and just stick some decent bulbs in the standard headlamps and drive a bit slower when it's dark.

'Ring' spots are plenty good enough if all you're doing is wandering around BOATS. Hella are in the same league as North Face kit - fine if you ever actually go up Everest but a waste if you never get that far.

Nothing I hate more than being blinded by some numpty with over bright low beam. High beam's fair enough, go to town, melt the road with your manly lights but please keep low beam, errm, low :P

Well worded & I agree 100% :rolleyes:

Beam alignment and brightness are two very different things. You can have bright headlights which are correctly aligned and wont dazzle anyone, and you can have two candles up front that are badly aligned and dazzle every passing car.

HID's CAN be fitted to older vechicles, but the vehicle needs either self levelling headlamps or self levelling suspension, high pressure washer units, and the light units themselves need to be type approved for HID's.

This means i can legally fit some Xenons from an S4 into my A4, as long as i use the correct Audi light units, and retro fit the appropriate levelling and washing systems.

Isnt really going to be possible in a defender though, as the washing and levelling systems dont exist, and there are no type approved lamps.