Canada

yoda

I have finally decided to make the biggest decision of my life and move my family out to Canada. However i need to know that i will be able to take my Landy (110 defender 300tdi) out with me or at least buy one out there. However there are a few questions that i need to ask first. Firstly i have read that if the vehicle is over 15 years old it is ok, secondly vehicles in general have to comply with canadian and american safety standards, does this apply to the 15 year old vehicles? Are there many Landrover clubs out there? Are there any more laws that i should be aware of? What is the availibility of parts like? The list goes on. I would be very much appreciate any answers and comments from people who know or any anyone with any experience of driving in Canada. Ta

Bloody good move - I did it about 10yrs ago (minus the Defender) and no regrets :)

There are lots of clubs, depending on where you're going to be

M.O.R.E

OVLR

ALRE

etc.

If yours falls under the 15 year rule then afaik there are no additional safety standards to meet but there will be a basic safety check for the province/territory you are registering it in. If you're headed for Quebec then I heard they're no longer allowing RHD vehicles to be registered. There are some pretty onerous cleaning requirements as well. There are a few threads on the above forums where folks have done it recently.

Bloody good move - I did it about 10yrs ago (minus the Defender) and no regrets :)

There are lots of clubs, depending on where you're going to be

M.O.R.E

OVLR

ALRE

etc.

If yours falls under the 15 year rule then afaik there are no additional safety standards to meet but there will be a basic safety check for the province/territory you are registering it in. If you're headed for Quebec then I heard they're no longer allowing RHD vehicles to be registered. There are some pretty onerous cleaning requirements as well. There are a few threads on the above forums where folks have done it recently.

Many thanks. Fingers crossed then, good job that i'm not going to Quebec :D

Don't forget that there is Roverlands of BC and Manitoba Land Rover Club.

Nearly all the above 5 clubs have some form of listing for local suppliers and on those that have their own independent forums, they have discussed the topic of importing vehicles into Canada thoroughly.

lr4x4.com is visited by many of Canadians who can advise. I left home 11 years ago.....might be worth it to go back soon. ^_^

Todd.

Can i ask why your going to Canada?

Because its a serious option i am considering.

M'mum's family live in Norway and spent a lot of time there as a child and moved out there to live when i left school. Had Norway as first choice, then New Zealand and Canada. We were going to move out there as one of my uncles offered us 10 acres of forest land to clear, build a house and then work it, but politically the country is changing and they need to start investing a lot of their oil money in their infrastructure. New Zealand i love but seemed a bit of a cul-d-sac (nothing bad intended). My wife has cousins in Canada, they are wanting hard workers and the country is huge and lots of forests and mountains which i love. So there we go. Oh they speak English also.

Don't forget that there is Roverlands of BC and Manitoba Land Rover Club.

Nearly all the above 5 clubs have some form of listing for local suppliers and on those that have their own independent forums, they have discussed the topic of importing vehicles into Canada thoroughly.

lr4x4.com is visited by many of Canadians who can advise. I left home 11 years ago.....might be worth it to go back soon. ^_^

Todd.

Ta fella will have a look. Found a good forum from the other reply. :D