td5 loss of power

Hi guys!!!

great ppl in here and very interesting forum!!

may i ask a question please?

i have a standard td5 (engine-wise) YoM 2000, the only modification is the exhaust. lately i noticed that on third gear at exactly 60km/hr the engine stops accelerating, then when i go to 4th the same things happen at exactly 80km/hr!!! cannot understand!! than at 5th gear nothing stops her!!! it continues to accelerate and giving power!!!

another thing i noticed this week is that at high revs the alternator light in the dash board starts blinking. don't know if its related!

can you please help me!!!

thanks in advance!

gil

My Td5 will do 45 MPH and 60 MPH in 3rd and 4th respectively any more than this and you would be over revving the engine. I would suspect that it is the rev limmiter that is stopping you. Although you should not be revving the engine that hard anyway.

hi guys, thanks alot for the replies,

jacks906, the thing is that i dont have a rev counter, as instead i have the clock. i have to find an original rev counter that fits instead of the clock.

c18rch, the speed i mentioned are km/hr, sorry here in malta we use km/hr.

i think i solved the problem, i looked at the alternator to see whats going wrong with it as the light was blinking when reving and noticed a loose main. i fixed it and went for a ride...it seems that the loss of power at the said speeds is ok now. cannot understand whats the connection between the alternator and the loss of power at certain speeds.

thanks alot

gil

If it happens again unplug the Mass Air Flow sensor (the black plug on the sensor that is connected just near the air filter box). Then try driving again. The ECU will put in a default reading for the MAF sensor. If it drives ok then it's time for a new sensor is about £90 I think, but will cure the problem.

Sounds like exactly the problem I had with my TD5.

If it happens again unplug the Mass Air Flow sensor (the black plug on the sensor that is connected just near the air filter box). Then try driving again. The ECU will put in a default reading for the MAF sensor. If it drives ok then it's time for a new sensor is about £90 I think, but will cure the problem.

Sounds like exactly the problem I had with my TD5.

ic thanks alot for the interest and help.

gil