De - Egr'd correctly

Stu2985

After trying several different things to improve my fuel economy (19-20 mpg on 6 mile run to work at 50 mph) I want to check the following details with anyone who can help

The EGR valve has been removed and blanked off from my 300 tdi auto EDC Discovery (p reg 1996). The EGR control solenoid wiring is still plugged into the solenoid. The 3 pipes that run from the solenoid are connected as follows The Pipe that went to the EGR valve is now blocked off. The pipe that went to the airbox is still connected. The pipe that runs to the brake servo vacuum hose T piece is still connected.

I have removed nothing or unplugged anything from the fuel pump.

Now some boards I have read say just block off the egr valve pipe and you can leave the rest. Others have said remove and unplug it all including the wiring and cover from the injection pump.

Can anyone shed any light on the right and wrong way.

I am getting the timing and tappets checked soon. For info it is de egr'd, decatted, allisport intercooler, allisport chip (removed at moment to test economy), I know the 265/75/16 AT tyres wont help or the underbody protection and winch bumper but the economy is real bad especially when I read in the mags I should be able to get better.

Sorry if you read this on another site just trying to get a broad spectrum of help on this issue.

I only get about 20mpg from my 300tdi with 235/85's and all the kit bolted to it, including the big intercooler and egr blanked......... some people get more, but i am just heavy footed......

After trying several different things to improve my fuel economy (19-20 mpg on 6 mile run to work at 50 mph) I want to check the following details with anyone who can help

The EGR valve has been removed and blanked off from my 300 tdi auto EDC Discovery (p reg 1996). The EGR control solenoid wiring is still plugged into the solenoid. The 3 pipes that run from the solenoid are connected as follows The Pipe that went to the EGR valve is now blocked off. The pipe that went to the airbox is still connected. The pipe that runs to the brake servo vacuum hose T piece is still connected.

I have removed nothing or unplugged anything from the fuel pump.

Now some boards I have read say just block off the egr valve pipe and you can leave the rest. Others have said remove and unplug it all including the wiring and cover from the injection pump.

Can anyone shed any light on the right and wrong way.

I am getting the timing and tappets checked soon. For info it is de egr'd, decatted, allisport intercooler, allisport chip (removed at moment to test economy), I know the 265/75/16 AT tyres wont help or the underbody protection and winch bumper but the economy is real bad especially when I read in the mags I should be able to get better.

Sorry if you read this on another site just trying to get a broad spectrum of help on this issue.

When I originally did mine I removed and blanked all three pipes but left the connector plugged in and had no problems at all.

The electronic pump injection pump has no parts on it to remove for the EGR, The mechanical pumps do it's a throttle potentiometer. So you can't do anything with the injection pump anyway.

Eventually I disconnected the valve and removed it and taped the plug to the rest of the loom again with no ill effects.

I used to get low 30's running 255/65/16 all terrains.

You may find that changing to a 1.44:1 Transfer box rather than the 1.22:1 standard Discovery box helps with economy on short runs with the larger tyres you are running.

I now have 255/85/16 Cooper ST's and a 1.44:1 T-box and still get high 20's on a 20 mile b-road (50mph typically) commute.

Mine is also a 1996 300TDi Auto with a winch, snorkel, etc although no roof rack. Also mine no longer has the electronic injection pump but a tweaked mechanical pump.

Pete.

No need to remove it if the rest of the EGR system is gone, but its only 2 or 3 screws to remove if you want to.

Pete.

hmm It was de egr'd by someone else so not sure if they decrudded it

guess I will have to take it apart to have a look

To avoid confusion :) my reply was to disco_al's question. however as the almighty :D Les, says make sure the inlet manifold and intercooler are clean. On mine the crud build up in the inlet manifold was about 5mm thick and was restricting the airflow in to the manifold. I used petrol to clean it out but you have to remove the inlet manifold and the intercooler to do it.

Pete.

To avoid confusion my reply was to disco_al's question. however as the almighty Les, says make sure the inlet manifold and intercooler are clean. On mine the crud build up in the inlet manifold was about 5mm thick and was restricting the airflow in to the manifold. I used petrol to clean it out but you have to remove the inlet manifold and the intercooler to do it.

already got my brake cleaner ready for the degreasing session (hopefully this weekend - her indoors permitting :) )

the branch on the inlet pipe i am planning to cut off and weld a plate over, or i may just get another pipe from a non egr model

sorry to hijack a little but i was thinking of doing the same to my 300tdi, it already has a decat pipe and i want to get a mid box replacement but my question is does any of this affect MOT in any way

cheers

Shouldn't effect MOT at all. Especially as most often the EGR is being removed because it has jammed open and is causing excessive smoking which would lead to a fail.

Mine has been done for 3 or so years and has been fine for every MOT.

Pete.

I have just finished off blanking off my EGR. Previously I had a ball bearing jammed into the vacuum operating pipe to stop it working. My 300TDi is EDC.

In order to fit the Airflow snorkel I have had to do a bit more work.

I needed to fit a non EGR bottom radiator hose which has the manifold heater pipe come from the inside of the pipe bend rather than the outside. This also meant replacing the intercooler hoses with non EGR ones so I took the oppotunity to fit silicon ones. While all of these where off I had space to completely remove the EGR and make and fit a blanking plate. All of this new space means I now can move the airfilter box and throttle body over about 50mm wil allow the snorkel pipe to be fitted into the engine bay.

A lot of mucking about to fit a snorkel but hopefully worth it.

That standard air intake fills up with dust very quickly when driving on dirt roads.

Adrian

To avoid confusion :) my reply was to disco_al's question. however as the almighty :D Les, says make sure the inlet manifold and intercooler are clean. On mine the crud build up in the inlet manifold was about 5mm thick and was restricting the airflow in to the manifold. I used petrol to clean it out but you have to remove the inlet manifold and the intercooler to do it.

Pete.

:huh: Mine looked like this .... Sooty lenoir....

post-7610-1242988013_thumb.jpg

i don't think the egr being completely removed or desooted will improve mpg that much.

for 6 miles in an auto with the bits as you describe i wouldn't of thought 20mpg was unrealistic.

what sort of economy do you get when you take it out on a run?