ignition key sticks

spudd

i have to really pull to get the key out .tried wd40 no difference.

atb spudd

Could depend on the spec/model and country you are in as some disco's have an interlock which can give probs.

Could depend on the spec/model and country you are in as some disco's have an interlock which can give probs.

uk spec disco 2 gs.blade looks twisted could i get a replacement blade and use original fob.

If you have got it out but its twisted hammer it flat and shove some very fine powdered graphite in the lock, once it all starts working again it should be fine. I am not sure if you can get just the blade or not, but quite possibly.

If it is a D2 with the integral fob/key all in one, then yes it will need programming IF you have to replace the whole thing.

One of the best ways to get graphite into a lock to "lubricate" it is to rub a pencil over the key blade so it is blackened, insert and turn it through its full cycle a few times.

Useful thing to do every month or so.

One of the best ways to get graphite into a lock to "lubricate" it is to rub a pencil over the key blade so it is blackened, insert and turn it through its full cycle a few times.

Useful thing to do every month or so.

got a new blade off ebay £4.75. had local key cutter do his bit 4 quid. pulled out old blade removed plasic cap and fitted onto new blade and pushed back into fob.all works ok.

atb.spudd

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having a similar problem with my 1999 Disco 2. The igintion wont turn with either of my keys, to the point now that on the weekend I had to strip out the barrel, remove the steering lock and now use a screw driver in the ignition switch! (the igination switch is seperate from the barrel, so no lasting damage has been done)

Is a pair of new blades likely to solve this or do I need a new ignition barrel?

If I get a new barrel, do I need new door lock barrels too?

Help!

If you get a barrel made to match the car keys you have, you wont need to change anything other than the barrel.

If you get a barrel and keys from a breaker, then you'd be wise to get the door locks too so the keys matched. You'd then have to transfer the new key blades into the old keys, so you retain the original immo transponder and you shouldnt need to reprogram anything.

Be aware that ordering an ignition lock to match the original can take some time. We've had some at work on order for between 2-4 months that have all turned up in the last 4 days. I don't know if this waiting time is typical or whether they have just got over a back log.

A ignition barrel cut to a specific number is also about £30-40 more than a random 1.

Mark.