Inverter? Any good ones out there?

Hi guys,

Looking to install an inverter in my Landy ... around 250W will do (not planning to arc weld in the middle of Botwana). Mainly to keep the laptop, sat phone and cameras topped up (maybe a small appliance).

I've had a quick look around Maplin, and saw that familiar names, like Clark, not getting the best of reviews; so I'd like to hear from those in the field, please.

Cheers for your time.

-JackSA

I would get something a bit bigger than 250w if I were you. I would recommend 500w for laptops, batteries & appliances.

I was told to avoid the cheapy ones from Maplin/Halfords etc, and rather spend my money on industrial quality equipment. Mind you, mine will be used in an expedition vehicle, and if my inverter goes, then I am in a bit of bother!

If you are only planning on using it on camping trips etc lasting a week or two, then I reckon one of the Ring ones from Halfords would suffice.

HTH

Martin

250-300W for a laptop & various phone/iPod chargers should be plenty, a laptop will draw 100W at most and chargers draw naff all. Nowt really wrong with the Nikkai inverters from Maplins although sometimes they do the 600W one for the same price as the 300W one on special. Industrial spec inverters are nice but really un-necessary for most gear that has its own PSU or adapter.

Could be easier to buy in-car chargers for most of those devices rather than convert 12v to 240v and back down to ~5v for most mobile stuff and ~15-20v for laptops. That way you're not reliant on the inverter to power everything.

Hi guys,

Looking to install an inverter in my Landy ... around 250W will do (not planning to arc weld in the middle of Botwana). Mainly to keep the laptop, sat phone and cameras topped up (maybe a small appliance).

I've had a quick look around Maplin, and saw that familiar names, like Clark, not getting the best of reviews; so I'd like to hear from those in the field, please.

Cheers for your time.

-JackSA

Mine is 1800 watt, does everything I want, cant remember the name, Landy having clutch done so cant look. It allows me to run a small kettle, 110 transformer to run 5" angle grinder and various power tools, I have had to install a leisure batery as I am afraid to drain the cranking battery.